  From: Larry Hickman
  To: Chevelle List
  Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:17 PM
  Subject: [Chevelle-list] Proportioning Valve Problems

  Hey Guys

  I did a front power disk brake conversion on my '71 Chevelle. Everything fit
together very well and looks as it should. My problem is I can't bleed the rear
brakes. I can crack the brake lines ahead of the wheel cylinders, and get fluid
when the pedal is pumped, but can not get any air or fluid out of the bleeders
on either rear wheel cylinder. I have completely removed the bleeder valves to
look for an obstruction of some sort, and they are clear. The visible portion
of the needle valve on the proportioning valve block does extend slightly when
the brakes are activated, but it only moves about a 1/16th of an inch. Is this
the way they are supposed to work ? The kit came with a new proportioning valve
for front disk/rear drum brakes that is supposed to be correct for all GM "A"
bodies of this era. I suspect this to be the problem, but don't know how to
test it. Any ideas ?  I am stumped.