From: John Nasta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: chevelle-list@chevelles.net
Sent: Thu, 15 May 2008 7:20 pm
Subject: [Chevelle-list] rear tranny seal

I finally got around to changing my rear tranny seal today. I had an
opportunity to use a friend's garage rather than lying in the street, so I
carpe'd the diem.?
?

I just want to pass on to you guys that the trick I found that worked for me
was to punch right through metal of the old seal as close as possible to the
outer edge with a small sharp flat screwdriver, followed by a bigger stronger
screwdriver to make a nice-sized gap in the metal. Next get the small
screwdriver between the tailshaft housing and the seal next to your new slit to
deform the outer edge of the seal, and then use the big screwdriver to pry the
seal out using the tailshaft housing as a pivot point. With this method it
resisted a little then suddenly popped right out.?
?

Things that did not work:?
?

Prying from the inside?
?

Going to auto parts stores - 3 places didn't have a seal removal tool and told
me to use a screwdriver!?
?

Good luck out there...?
?