when you changed the coil did you make sure the ground strap was left in.
----- Original Message ----- From: "J. Brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] help needed with replacement HEI coil

Thanks guys-

I got the right part but believe it or not, it wasn't
the coil...  the ignition wire in the harness had made
its way down by the header and melted..

I swapped the coil anyway regardless, because knowing
its age and NOT knowing its origin, I'm sure it was
one of the next items on the upgrade list!

Regards,

Jim

'66 Malibu
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/my66.htm

--- Brad Waller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm not positive, but I thought that all HEI caps
were the same, and any coil made to fit the cap will work. I've used Delco and other manufacturer caps, and I never even thought about fit. I just bought the HEI cap. If the car is pretty much stock, the GM coil is fine. You don't need to pay more for a hotter spark if your old spark was good enough.

Brad Waller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On May 26, 2008, at 6:48 PM, J. Brady wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, for the past 5 years I've been enjoying my
327
> which has been running flawlessly off of a Delco
Remy
> distributor with HEI.  However, it picked today of
all
> times to quit (now currently stranded at my
sister's
> place).
>
> The problem is, I don't know what model
distributor
> and cap it is, and am wondering if there is a
> universal replacement from an auto parts store I
can
> get ASAP.  The distributor is a Delco Remy, and
was in
> a 283 at the time that I got it (around
2001-2002).  I
> have never had to change the coil out of the cap,
and
> actually dropped that distributor right into the
327 I
> have in the car now w/no issues whatsoever.  It's
been
> 100% all the way.  Looking at the cap tonight
(just
> before the sun went down), I found the #9598 on
the
> cap, and the coil is 3.5" x 3.5" in the top.  The
> distributor cap is tan in color with the top being
> black.  Wondering if anyone can point me in the
> direction of what HEI coil I need from the parts
store