Great Job Rick,

I envy you as my 65 Malibu has no heater or AC, just the floor vents!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rick Schaefer
  Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 9:04 PM
  Subject: [Chevelle-list] Am I Cool.........

  Or what :D    .  Just had to brag on myself a bit.  May not be much to
others, but I finally resurected the A/C system on my El Camino.   Its been
inop for 3 or 4 years for a variety of reasons.  It was just never a priority
to get it fixed.    About a month ago I started on it by pulling the evaporator
and condensor to clean them thoroughly.   While I was at it, I removed the
heater box to reseal,  and try to get rid of an annoying rattle from it.
          Got it back together a week ago and its blowing cold air again.
Output of the center vents is 42* less than ambient air.   I still need to put
the gauges back on and adjust the charge - I intentionally left it a little
short, but    IT WORKS!    Just in time for winter.

         The compressor (rebuilt) initially had a front seal leak, but after a
day or 2 of driving it apparently fixed itself.  I cleaned up the oil on the
inner fender & hood and its been dry since.   Not sure that understand how or
why, but I'll take the result and hope that it doesn't return.

          And if you have complaints about the volume of air flow from your
heater or A/C  check your underdash ducts.   Between the heater box & ducts
there were numerous places where the air could leak.  I know I got most all of
the leaks and air flow is so much better than before.

    have a great Columbus Day weekend.
  --
  Rick Schaefer
  72 TPI El Camino