Someone asked about leaded fuel vs unleaded some time back.  My 68 Chevelle 396
was a hard starter in some situations and I tried adjusting timing, different
fuels, additives, etc.  But I found only one additive that contains real
Tetraethyl lead, same stuff used in premium gas of old days.  Mixing 1/2 quart
with 20 gallons of Amoco 93 octane figures out to about 100 octane and protects
my valves/guides.  Nice thing about this stuff is I can have a quart or two
with me and if there are no Amoco stations around, I can stiffen it up with
unknown fuels.

I used to buy it from Paddock but it jumped up in cost, plus they charge
terrible for shipping.  Another place has it for like $45/gallon in quarts with
very reasonable shipping:

http://maxlead2000.com/

This link has good info plus the address to order from.

Hope this helps.

Steve E.
1968 Chevelle SS396