List,

I forwarded this to a customer/friend of mine who a service manager at a
dealership here in Va. His response, I believe, shows the other side on the
coin.

To wit;

I didn’t know there was a law stating you had to take your car to a dealership.
Isn’t that what the freedom of information act was all about? The information
is out there,its available its just not free. or in some  (not all) cases not
cheep. The equipment and training is extremely expensive to repair these cars
correctly. That's what I believe is driving this. Your mom&Pops repair facility
does not want to fix the problems that take highly skilled tech's and
sophisticated equipment to repair the systems on these cars that the government
or consumers demand be placed on them. How many people you know would choose a
car with the options in safety ,comfort,entertainment,and information available
just 20 years ago compared to what on today's cars. New cars are truly amazing.
Technology isn’t cheep. Take it to the dealer, is just a way of saying,I’m not
interested in investing  the time and money in my business to make the repairs
necessary to fix your car. Not that that's a bad thing. It makes very good
business science. The big difference is that the dealership has no choice but
to invest in the tools,equipment and training placed on them by the manufacture
or loose the franchise. HUGE BUCKS!!!
  All this and I haven’t even mentioned WARRANTY REPAIRS. or the part that  we
have to compete with all the aftermarket shops for the work that is easy and
profitable. Do you know why we mess with  tire sells. Its not for the very low
profit made on them. lets face it, we cant compete with the tire stores prices
and make a decent profit . So its more of a lost leader. The real reason is
that  70% of the people have there car serviced at the place they buy their
tires. We are competing for that business just like them.  Tire stores do not
want to repair the hard stuff.
Sorry, didn’t mean to rant. I just found it completely ridiculous!

   Thanks for asking!