Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Alignment Question-Follow up

Took the car for a short ride back to the shop to retrieve the stock sway
bar (like I really needed more old parts).  The car did wander, and I
noticed about 1 1/2 to 2" play in the steering wheel.  I remembered that
the mechanic stated that he tightened the steering box.  This was going
thru my head as I'm driving to the shop.  Part of the work order was for
them to weld the coupler to the steering column where it connects to the
rag joint.  This piece is pressed on at the factory, and was loose.  I
actually had the car towed to the shop because of this.  Drivable but
dangerous.  If I fails you crash.  When I picked the car up I didn't look
at the coupler to see if it was welded.  When I arrived back at the shop,
I opened the hood and didn't see any weld.  I scooped up the sway bar and
asked the mechanic about the welding and got a blank stare.  He asked the
shop owner and he didn't know if it had been done.  I dung out the receipt
and the welding was the second item on the instructions.  The owner said
he dropped the ball and appollogised  (sp).
The mechanic welded up the piece and I went on my way.  The car drove
perfect.  Will I go back to the shop?  Yes.  Why?  Because I like them and
they are honest.  But I will go elsewhere for alignments.

Today is cruise day.  It's a beautiful day in the Calif central valley.
But first I'll put the car on the lift and check some bolts...

Larry