Before I forget! Did they adjust the play in the steering box with the suspension in the air? If not then you will also have the centering problem and the steering will be stickey!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johann Grobler" <johann.grob...@absamail.co.za>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Wandering Malibu

My 65 Malibu also wandered and found that the top end of the coupling that fits onto the steering shaft had come loose over the years and caused play on the steering. Remember it is pressed on and then flanged. I welded mine to the steering shaft, end of problem!
Johann
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Williams" <larrydwilli...@hughes.net> To: <dennis.mcgil...@mcgilliscompany.com>; "The Chevelle Mailing List" <chevelle-list@chevelles.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:32 AM

Did you check that coupling at the bottom of the steering column shaft?

Larry

dennis.mcgil...@mcgilliscompany.com wrote:
Is there a front-end expert in the house?

My ’65 Malibu with power steering wanders, the steering wheel does not return to center after turning, and it is unstable on curves.

This is right after a front end rebuild (Moog parts) and disc brake installation (from True Connections) and new 14x5 steel wheels (Wheel Smith) with one inch less backspace than stock to clear the new brakes. Before all this, it was 100,000 mile loose, but normal.

I figured the alignment guy used too much negative caster but that turned out not to be the case. 1964 to 1967 Chevelle caster specs are zero to minus 1.5 degrees with minus .5 recommended for mine. It is now at positive .7 and still wanders.

Does anyone know what I am missing? Can two inch wider track cause this problem?

Thanks,

Dennis McGillis
1965 Malibu SS-350