  From: Chuck Hanson
  Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 700 R4 Trans

  Good advice, Rick.  A reputable local trans shop is the way I'd go, too.

  Ditto on your gear ratio selection...  The 2.73 won't cut it with the
overdrive trans.  I had 3.08 gears in my '66 wagon w/700R4 trans, and it never
was in its "sweet spot" while cruising @ 70 mph.  Changed to a 3.42 and the
motor is a lot happier, plus mileage picked up about 1.5 - 2 mpg to boot!
Since less throttle is now required to maintain any given speed, I had to
reprogram the ECM for my Holley FI system, but it was only small tweaks in the
light cruise mode.

  Chuck