From: chevelle-list-boun...@chevelles.net
[mailto:chevelle-list-boun...@chevelles.net] On Behalf Of John Nasta
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:30 PM
To: chevelle-list@chevelles.net
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] SB lifter question

Thanks Chum,

The method of adjusting a quarter turn past the point when the tapping
stops is something I was taught a long time ago and not something I
got from that web page. So, how are they supposed to be adjusted?

Thanks for the tip about checking the lifter to make sure it's rotating.

Amazingly enough, Auto Zone was able to look up a 1958 283. I told the
woman on the phone to assume it was in an Impala or BelAir with a 4bbl.

John

Quoting Chum Nault <c...@jimolsonmotors.com>:

John

The last year for the 283 was 1967, all small block flat lifters are
interchangeable, if you are just looking for a stock hydraulic lifter
any
283, 327 lifter will be the same. The 58 specs you looked up must be
for a
solid lifter, not hydraulic, as the old 1/4 turn past 0 lash was
always the
method for adjusting them.

Be sure to take a good look at the cam surface on the lifters as you
remove
them, be sure that there is not a wear mark from the camshaft on the
lifter
indicating that the lifter is not rotating. This would tell you it is
time
to replace the camshaft also.

We are finding out that our oils today have eliminated a zink additive
that
is needed to lubricate our older flat lifter camshafts and we are
seeing
failures. Every cam manufacture recommends an additive or a high
performance
oil with zink.

Chum Nault