Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

1a.
Happy Diwali From: Nutan Thakur
1b.
Happy Diwali From: dinesh mishra
1c.
Re: Happy Diwali From: Raj Tiwari
2a.
Re: Diwali Message -- for our economic times From: Ramsunder Shrivastava
3a.
Re: HAPPY DIWALI From: Ramsunder Shrivastava
4.
happy diwali From: sarmistha roy
5.
Indian poverty From: Dipankar
6a.
Introduction from a new member From: Yuvraj Gajpal
7.
36garh Diary | 30 Oct | 2008 From: Shubhranshu Choudhary
8.
CG no 1 on FRA land distribution From: Shubhranshu Choudhary

Messages

1a.

Happy Diwali

Posted by: "Nutan Thakur" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   drnutanthakur

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 am (PDT)

Dear Friend,

Amitabh, Nutan and children wish you and your family a happy,
prosperous, memorable and remarkable Deewali.
Let this Deewali bring further success, name, fame, grandeur and
achievements to you the way it has been happening so far. May you also
serve the society in an even better way that you have been doing till
now.

Amitabh Thakur, Dr Nutan Thakur
SP (Intelligence), Editor
Faizabad Nutan Satta Pravah
# 94155-34526 Lucknow
# 94155-34525

1b.

Happy Diwali

Posted by: "dinesh mishra" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   dr.dineshmishra

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 am (PDT)

"Spark of knowledge can eradicate darkness of superstition"wishing u happy
diwali

regards
dr.dinesh mishra & family

1c.

Re: Happy Diwali

Posted by: "Raj Tiwari" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   rajtiwari19

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 pm (PDT)

Dear All,

I wish you and your family a happy and prosperous Diwali

Raj Kishor Tiwari
MIS Incharge
State Project Office
Rajiv Gandhi Shiksha Mission
Raipur, Chhattisgarh

2a.

Re: Diwali Message -- for our economic times

Posted by: "Ramsunder Shrivastava" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 am (PDT)

I agree. All the members must adhere to the message it carries.
DRRSSHRIVASTAVA

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 sri venkat wrote :
>The below Diwali message by Sri Anil Chawla is one of the best ones I have
>come across.
>

>Dear friend,
>
>Namaskar,
>
>Diwali is the night of no moon.It is said to be the darkest night of
>the year. Yet, we make it glow with our efforts and optimistic
>attitude to life.
>
>At the moment, world economy is in a state of gloom, there is
>darkness all around. In this dark hour, we should still not lose hope.
>We should continue to create brightness in our own minds, our houses
>and the society & world as a whole.
>
>The economic turmoil will surely claim a few victims. There is no
>point trying to fool ourselves that it can be a painless turbulence.
>The whole world is bound to be affected, though there might be
>differences in degrees. It will touch each one of us.
>
>Yet, we have to remain hopeful about the future. Everything that has a
>beginning must end. The financial tsunami that began in the USA will
>surely come to an end sooner or later. The supremacy of USA and her
>allies is bound to end. The world is bound to be a different place in
>the next few years.
>
>When the world goes through a major transition, the one who
>understands the transitory nature of transition is calm and relaxed.
>Keeping the lamp of hope and faith alive in the heart comes naturally
>to someone who has this wisdom.
>
>On the eve of this Diwali, let me pray that you have the wisdom to see
>beyond turmoil and turbulence. May the Goddess of lights enthuse you
>even in the darkest hours! May you be filled with hope even when
>everyone else despairs!
>
>May Diwali bring SHUBH LABH (prosperity and wealth that is good for
>everyone), good health, happiness and joys for you, your family and
>for the whole society and world.
>
>With Best Wishes And Regards,
>
>Anil Chawla
>hindustanstudies@gmail.com

3a.

Re: HAPPY DIWALI

Posted by: "Ramsunder Shrivastava" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 am (PDT)

I reciprocate the same.
DRRSSHRIVASTAVA

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 kishore diwase wrote :
>DEAR MEMBERS OF NET FRATERNITY
>=================================
>I WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A VERY HAPPY DIWALI. MAY THE SUPREME POWER BLESS WITH LOVE , PROSPERITY AND ALL THE DREAMS YET UN-FULFILLED- ALWAYS KEEP SMILING N TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF YOUR HEALTH- KISHORE ?DIWASE. ( MOB-919827471743)

4.

happy diwali

Posted by: "sarmistha roy" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 am (PDT)

wish all my friends a very happy Diwali

Sarmistha

5.

Indian poverty

Posted by: "Dipankar" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   dbasu2002in

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:01 pm (PDT)

New estimates by the World Bank show that:

(1) one-third of the world's poor live in India
(2) India has a higher proportion of it's population living below $2 a
day than Sub-Saharan Africa
(3) the rate of poverty decline was higher in the 1980s than in the
next decade and a half
(4) poverty in the Eastern European countries have increased after
they embraced capitalism.

Here is the World Bank website related to this:
http://econ.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTDEC/EXTRESEARCH/0,,contentMDK:21882162~pagePK:64165401~piPK:64165026~theSitePK:469382,00.html

The recent issue of EPW (VOL 43 No. 43 October 25 - October 31, 2008)
has three articles and a editorial on this:
http://epw.in/epw/user/userindex.jsp

Here is a recent TOI article on this:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-3409374,flstry-1.cms

India is home to roughly one-third of all poor people in the world. It
also has a higher proportion of its population living on less
than $2 per day than even sub-Saharan Africa.

That is the sobering news coming out of the World Bank's latest
estimates on global poverty. The fine print of the estimates also
shows that the rate of decline of poverty in India
was faster between 1981 and 1990 than between 1990 and 2005. This is
likely to give fresh ammunition to those who maintain that economic
reforms, which started in 1991, have failed to reduce poverty at a
faster rate.

India, according to the new estimates, had 456 million people or about
42% of the population living below the new international poverty line
of $1.25 per day. The number of Indian poor also constitute 33% of the
global poor, which is pegged at 1.4 billion people.

India also had 828 million people, or 75.6% of the population living
below $2 a day. Sub-Saharan Africa, considered the world's poorest
region, is better — it has 72.2% of its population (551m) people below
the $2 a day level.

The estimates are based on recently recalculated purchasing power
parity (PPP) exchange rates, which makes comparisons across countries
possible. The dollar exchange rates being referred to here, therefore,
are not the ones used in normal exchange rates.

While the full report has not yet been released, a briefing note sent
by the Bank had some of the data and showed that the poverty rate —
those below $1.25 per day — for India had come down from 59.8% in 1981
to 51.3% by 1990 or 8.5 percentage points over nine years. Between
1990 and 2005, it declined to 41.6%, a drop of 9.7 percentage points
over 15 years, clearly a much slower rate of decline.

An FAQ on the new estimates, also provided by the Bank, however
states, "India has maintained even progress against poverty since the
1980s, with the poverty rate declining at a little under one
percentage point per year."

The new international poverty line of $1.25 PPP per day has been
arrived at as "the average poverty line found in the poorest 10-20
countries", according to the briefing note. In other words, more than
four out of 10 Indians lives below what the world's poorest countries
consider the poverty line.

The new estimates are sobering not just for India but for the
developing world as a whole, as they reveal higher levels of poverty
than earlier estimated.

East Asia, in fact, is the region that has recorded the sharpest
reductions in poverty from about 79% of the population in 1981 to 18%
in 2005. In contrast, Eastern Europe and Central Asia has seen poverty
rates go up from 1.6% to 5%. What is noticeable in this region is the
decline in poverty till 1987, when it was down to just 1% of the
population, and the sharp rise subsequently.

The Bank also makes the point that while raising people above the
poverty line is a relatively achievable task — it believes poverty
levels in 1990 can be halved by 2015 — it is proving very difficult to
raise them above the $2 per day mark. The number of those in the
developing world below this level has in fact gone up marginally from
2.5 billion to 2.6 billion since 1981.

6a.

Introduction from a new member

Posted by: "Yuvraj Gajpal" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   yuvrajgajpal

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:38 pm (PDT)

Shubhranshu ji ,

Thanks a lot. I have joined Chattisgarh forum as directed by you. I have
found it extremely active and useful. Thanks a lot for sending the
invitation.

Let me introduce myself as Nutan Thakur. I am a social worker and also am
the Editor of a Hindi daily, Nutan Satta Pravah ( Lucknow).
My husband Amitabh Thakur is an IPS Officer of UP Cadre (1992 batch)
presently working as Supdt of Police, Intll, Faizabad.

We generally live at Lucknow with chidren Tanaya ( Class IX) and Aditya (
Class VI).

We wish you a very happy Diwali.

Yours,

Nutan Thakur

# 94155-34525
7.

36garh Diary | 30 Oct | 2008

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:26 pm (PDT)

Naxals lay siege to villages in poll-bound Chhattisgarh

New Kerala Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:34 PM PDT

Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh, Oct 29 : As electioneering gathers momentum in
Chhattisgarh for the second Assembly polls since the state's formation in
2000, an uneasy calm prevails in rural areas with several people's
representatives, including sitting MLAs, in Bastar region under 24-hour
police escort or Maoists laying siege to their villages.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-37910.html

Progeny priority for Cong tickets

Calcutta Telegraph - Calcutta,India

Arun Vora was given a ticket for the Durg city seat despite losing the last
two elections. Priti Netam was nominated from the Narayanpur Assembly seat
even ...

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1081029/jsp/nation/story_10033260.jsp

Chhattisgarh power project on track, hope for state

Express Buzz - Chennai,Tamil Nadu,India

BANGALORE: A team of four Karnataka Power Corporation Limited (KPCL)
officials returned from Chhattisgarh to Bangalore on Monday, with a reason
to cheer. ...

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Chhattisgarh+power+project+on+track,+hope+for+state&artid=LlGaVPaUOBU=&SectionID=7GUA38txp3s=&MainSectionID=fyV9T2jIa4A=&SectionName=zkvyRoWGpmWSxZV2TGM5XQ==&SEO
=

Monnet Ispat Q2 net up by 68%

SteelGuru - Gurgaon,Haryana,India

... tonnes a year pelletization and beneficiation plant for iron ore with
additional 75 MW power generation capacity along with its ongoing projects
in Raigarh.

http://steelguru.com/news/index/2008/10/29/Njg4Mjk=/Monnet_Ispat_Q2_net_up_by_68%2525_YoY.html

Maoists plan string of attacks in poll-bound Chhattisgarh

New Kerala Tue, 28 Oct 2008 1:57 AM PDT

Raipur, Oct 28 : Thousands of policemen deployed in the forested interiors
of Chhattisgarh's southern insurgency-hit area are on high alert following
intelligence inputs that Maoist rebels have planned a string of deadly
attacks ahead of the November assembly polls.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-37592.html

Maoists resent Hinduism among tribals

IndiaPost.com - Union City,CA,USA

In the same interview, the mastermind of many Naxal attacks in Orissa also
warned that they would kill around a dozen people who he alleged were
responsible ...

http://indiapost.com/article/perspective/4299/

Chhattisgarh on high alert over possible Maoist attacks

Hindu - Chennai,India

Raipur (IANS): Thousands of policemen deployed in the forested interiors of
Chhattisgarh's southern insurgency-hit area are on high alert following ...

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200810281512.htm

Orissa tribals to take on Naxals

Hindustan Times Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:23 PM PDT

COMMENT ON THIS ! Your Views! The Orissa government on Monday issued a
notification for recruiting 2,000 Adivasi youths from five-Naxal infested
districts to fight the insurgents.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=&id=2b916cd6-b375-4f5e-a7d9-4b9e2e4ac3d1&MatchID1=4815&TeamID1=6&TeamID2=1&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1212&PrimaryID=4815&Headline=Orissa+tribals+to+take+on+Naxals

Did complacency do the cops in?

Times of India - India

NAGPUR: Though senior officials are yet to come to any conclusion about the
deadly Naxal attack that claimed the lives of four policemen in Gadchiroli
on ...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Nagpur/Did_complacency_do_the_cops_in/articleshow/3647740.cms

Naxal hurdle to Mamata national alliance plans

Daily News & Analysis - Mumbai,India

However, highly placed Trinamool sources say Mamata's naxalite confidants
want her to go alone in the elections. "We had successive meetings with
naxalite ...

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1201680

Security cover for politicians campaigning in Maoist area

New Kerala Mon, 27 Oct 2008 3:08 AM PDT

Raipur, Oct 27 : The police said Monday that it was ready to provide
security cover to politicians who wanted to campaign in the Maoist
stronghold Bastar interiors of Chhattisgarh ahead of the Nov 14 assembly
polls.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-37200.html

Notification issued for second and final phase in Chhattisgarh

New Kerala Mon, 27 Oct 2008 1:47 AM PDT

Raipur, Oct 27 : The process for the second and final phase of polling in 51
Assembly constituencies in Chhattisgarh was set in motion today with the
Governor issuing the notification.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-37143.html

Chhattisgarh BJP faces rising dissension

Calcutta News Mon, 27 Oct 2008 4:50 AM PDT

Chhattisgarh's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is faced with rising
dissension and the latest revolt is by senior leader Virendra Pandey, who
has asked the party to allow him to contest from Raipur in the forthcoming
polls.

http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/423211

This chief minister's family owns no vehicle

New Kerala Mon, 27 Oct 2008 7:42 AM PDT

Raipur, Oct 27: The family of Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh, who
completes his five-year term in office next month, owns a decent amount of
cash, jewellery and property, but surprisingly no vehicle.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-37402.html

NMDC registers 48% surge in Q2 Net Profit

TopNews - Noida,Uttar Pradesh,India

... diamond, graphite, beach sands etc. Recently, NMDC has acquired 950
acres of land in possession for setting up a 3-mt integrated steel plant in
Jagdalpur.

http://www.topnews.in/nmdc-registers-48-surge-q2-net-profit-280847

BJP banks on Gujarat formula for power

rediff.com Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:00 PM PDT

Along with the development plank, the Bharatiya Janata Party is counting on
the 'Gujarat formula' of dropping 'unpopular legislators' as a strategy to
minimise the anti-incumbency factor and return to power in Madhya Pradesh,
Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/oct/27bjp.htm

Filing of nominations begin for second phase in Chhattisgarh

New Kerala Mon, 27 Oct 2008 1:31 AM PDT

Raipur, Oct 27 : Filing of nomination papers for the second and final phase
of assembly polls covering 51 seats in Chhattisgarh began Monday.

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-37133.html

Chhattisgarh police arrest two, rescue 40 workers

Fresh News - Delhi,Delhi,India

Chhattisgarh's vast northern region including Surguja, Korba, Jashpur, Koria
and Raigarh are notorious for human trafficking cases where suppliers take

http://www.freshnews.in/chhattisgarh-police-arrest-two-rescue-40-workers-87842

Raman Singh files nominations papers

Fresh News - Delhi,Delhi,India

By Indo-Asian News Service on Sunday, October 26, 2008 Chhattisgarh Chief
Minister Raman Singh filed nomination papers Saturday for the Rajnandgaon
assembly ...

http://www.freshnews.in/raman-singh-files-nominations-papers-91259

Soren govt promises free rice, wheat for 'primitive' tribals

Indian Express - New Delhi,India

These include inauguration of a dance centre, distribution of musical
instruments to Adivasi artistes and launch of Mukhya Mantri Food Security
project. ...

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Soren-govt-promises-free-rice--wheat-for--primitive--tribals/378575

Before the flood

Hindustan Times - India

The battle for Chattisgarh is evenly poised and in Delhi the BJP is
seemingly enjoying a clear edge, though things may change once the
candidates for all ...

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=c051e6dc-c2f1-449f-bdeb-1d2224142c8f&MatchID1=4815&TeamID1=6&TeamID2=1&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1212&PrimaryID=4815&Headline=Before+the+flood
8.

CG no 1 on FRA land distribution

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:03 am (PDT)

GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF TRIBAL AFFAIRS *** RAJYA SABHA* ***UNSTARRED QUESTION NO
291 * ANSWERED ON 20.10.2008
IMPLEMENTATION OF FOREST RIGHTS LAW .

291. SHRI MOINUL HASSAN
Will the Minister of TRIBAL AFFAIRS be pleased to state:-

(a) the status of implementing the Forest Rights Law, State-wise;

(b) the names of the States providing benefits to tribals and forest
dwellers, in detail; and

(c) the number of tribals and forest dwellers who are benefited?

***ANSWER*

MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF TRIBAL AFFAIRS

(DR. RAMESHWAR ORAON)

(a), (b) & (c): As per the information available with the Ministry, States
have progressed in varying degrees in implementation of the Scheduled Tribes
and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act,
2006. While States like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Madhya
Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa and Rajasthan have established the prescribed
structures and procedures, have received a large number of claims and some
have even started distributing title deeds, other States, because of various
reasons, including holding of State and Panchayat elections, are still to
catch up. As on 30.9.2008, the States of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and
Madhya Pradesh have distributed 5000 (approx), 59548 and 4186 pattas
respectively.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance