1.

36garh Diary | 5 Nov | 2008

Posted by: "CGNet" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tue Nov 4, 2008 11:31 pm (PST)

Dear friends,

Pls find here 36garh Diary | 5 Nov | 2008. This contains news items
published in today's newspapers related to Chhattisgarh

http://cgnet.in/Med/diary/atdocument.2008-11-05.6971197457

regards
Moderators team CGnet

2.

Politics in a new state : Chhattisgarh by Louise Tillin

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:05 am (PST)

Dear friends,

Louise Tillin is a student from Institute of Development Studies, UK .She is
researching Chhattisgarh for some years now. She has written an article titled
Politics in a new state : Chhattisgarh in Seminar magazine. We thank Louise
for sending the article to us. I have uploaded the article to the 8 years of
CG page.

http://www.cgnet.in/aajkal/fiveyears/

Louise is also a CGnet member. So you can write to her on the group itself

regards
Shubhranshu

3.

Jharkhand companies should not use middlemen: Shibu Soren

Posted by: "Gladson Dungdung" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:06 am (PST)

Jharkhand companies should not use middlemen: Shibu Soren

Ranchi, Nov 5 (IANS) Companies operating in Jharkhand should desist from
taking help of middlemen, says Chief Minister Shibu Soren. "Villagers
dislike middlemen and I have also fought against moneylenders and
middlemen," he said. Attacks on companies planning to set up units in
Jharkhand have increased after Soren took over as chief minister Aug 27.
Maoist guerrillas have also stepped up their activities, abducting railway
employees and killing security personnel in Chaibasa though Soren was ready
to talk to them.

Referring to the attacks on firms' properties, Soren told IANS in an
interview here Tuesday: "We want to strike a balance between farmers and
companies. Farmers cannot be thrown out of their land and at the same time
we need industries for employment."

Excerpts from the interview:

Q. Investors are feeling scared as one attack after another took place on
the companies after you took charge of the state. The company officials
claim that they are not given proper security despite threat.

A. There is no doubt that we need investors to set up industries in the
state. We welcome the investors who will ensure employment to the people of
the state. We are ready to help the companies with providing securities and
infrastructure. The surveyors of Bhushan steel were beaten up due to a
confusion.

The companies are falling into the hands of brokers to get land. Companies
should desist from taking help of middlemen. Villagers dislike middlemen and
I have also fought against moneylenders and middlemen. Instead of taking
help of middlemen, companies should approach the district administration and
local legislators and leaders to interact with the land owners to get land.

Q. The agitators say that your rehabilitation and resettlement (R&R) policy
has many shortcomings. They say that the R&R policy will be implemented only
on 30 percent land acquired by the government and not on the 70 percent land
directly purchased by the companies.

A. If there are shortcomings in the policy, it will be rectified. We want to
strike a balance between both farmers and companies. Farmers cannot be
thrown out from their land and at the same time we need industries for
employment. We will definitely work to ensure that the policy is implemented
in hundred percent land acquired or purchased by the government and
companies.

Q. Maoist rebels have stepped up their activities after you took charge of
the state. You invited Maoist rebels for dialogue but they responded by
killing security personnel.

A. I am serious about ending the Maoist problem. I invited them (Maoists)
for dialogue. I am ready to go to the jungle to hold dialogue. I also
offered them to choose one district and run it for a certain period of time
and keep the people happy. The state government will also provide budgetary
support in running the district. No Maoist organisation came forward to
initiate dialogue with me. I am taking measures to solve the Maoist problem.

Q. What are the steps being taken by your government to end the Maoist
problem?

A. The development of villages and addressing the unemployment problem are a
few steps which can address the Maoist problem. The development of villages
will automatically ensure development of the state.

Q. Corruption is a key issue for your government. Charges are levelled by
the opposition parties that you are heading a team of corrupt ministers.

A. Where is the corruption? I will see myself about the corruption charges.
I will not speak much about the issue as I believe in work, not in
statement. Wait for some time.

(
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/jharkhand-companies-should-not-use-middlemen-shibu-soren-interview_100115251.html

4.

Mining rights on tribal land : Part Of The Profit Should Be Earmarke

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:06 am (PST)

Mining rights on tribal land
Part Of The Profit Should Be Earmarked For Compensation

By Bharat Jhunjhunwala

The common man is becoming restless along with the increase in the rate of
economic growth. This is reflected in the escalation of Maoist activity.
Land is being acquired from tribals for mining. No wonder the tribals feel
deprived and left out of the development process.
The mineral beneath the forest land is a major factor behind the economic
growth. It should be possible to pay more than adequate compensation to the
tribals from this income. The tribal earning Rs 10,000 from an acre of land
can surely be provided a compensation of Rs 1 lakh from the profit of Rs 1
crore that is earned through the mining of bauxite. But businessmen
shortsighted. They are unwilling to accept a profit of Rs 99 lakh when Rs 1
crore can be earned. They do not wish to pay a compensation of even Rs 1
lakh to the displaced tribals.

Brothers in profit

It is the responsibility of the government to intervene and ensure that
tribals get more than adequate compensation for the loss incurred by them.
On the contrary, the state governments have often joined hands with the
businessmen. They are only interested in getting the royalty from sale of
minerals and do not seem to care for the welfare of the tribals. In their
reckoning the gains from royalty are more substantial than the loss of votes
from dissatisfied tribals. The result is an unholy axis of state governments
and business houses against the hapless tribals.
Social activists often raise their voice against this cruelty perpetrated by
the states. They argue against the acquisition of land in order to protect
the tribals though the real conflict is only about distribution of gains
from mining. The first argument is that tribals are deprived of their
traditional income from forest produce. They are safe and secure with sale
of chironji seeds and barks even though the income is meagre. This income
can benefit several generations.
The small sum received as compensation is soon exhausted. As an alternative,
the men ply rickshaws while the women wash utensils. Unlike income from the
land, the compensation does not provide a long term source of income. The
solution is to provide shares of the mining companies to the displaced
tribals. This will ensure a long term source of income.
The second argument is that forest land should be distributed to the
tribals. They have been collecting minor produce from these lands for
generations although this right has not been recorded in the revenue
records.
The income of the tribals will increase if the land comes under their
control. This is true. But it still does not solve the problem of low
incomes. The earnings from forests and agriculture have always shown a
declining trend. The share of agriculture in our GDP was 56 per cent in
1951. It is now less than 20 per cent. The share is less than one per cent
in developed countries like the United States. This happens because there is
a limit to the amount of capital that can be deployed in agriculture. Only
one tubewell can be dug over ten acres. Accordingly the income from
agriculture is limited. The same land can provide income amounting to
crores of rupees and employment to hundreds if a factory or software firm is
established.
The ability of agriculture to absorb capital is limited as also its capacity
to provide high incomes. Thus distribution of land does not solve the
problem of tribal poverty.
The development of the remote areas should be carried out by improving the
infrastructure such as roads and the supply of electricity. But that does
not necessarily ensure that the interior areas will benefit. For instance,
Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh, which are rich in minerals, are also poor in
terms of income. This happens because the infrastructure is used more to
extract the natural resources and less to ensure urban amenities.
In British India, development of the infrastructure and impoverishment of
the country proceeded hand in hand. The infrastructure was used to extract
our natural resources. The same trend is noticeable today in the
resource-rich states. Thus development of infrastructure may not lead to
development of the tribal areas.

Abetting wrongdoing

The fourth argument is that tribals are deprived of their traditional
culture in the process of acquisition of forest lands for mineral
development. They live in proximity to forests, and feel unsettled in the
cities. Of course, the younger generation has started migrating to the
cities. BR Ambedkar advised the Dalits to leave the villages and migrate to
urban areas. He compared the villages to ghettos of the American cities
which are typified by low incomes, violence and general degeneration of
society. Displacement due to land acquisition is a double-edged sword. It
deprives the tribals of their traditional security. At the same time it
liberates them from the narrow confines and provides an opportunity to move
ahead to the urban mainstream.
Acquisition of forest lands for mining is justified. The long term benefits
for the urban areas are substantial. The problem is that the business
enterprises are shortsighted and unwilling to provide a long term source of
income to the displaced people in lieu of the loss they suffer on account of
the acquisition of forest land.
The state governments become accomplices in this wrongdoing by supporting
the acquisition for the sake of development while ignoring the issue of
compensation. Let us provide the displaced tribals with jobs, plots of land
in the cities and shares of acquiring companies. All concerned will then
stand to gain.

(The writer is former Professor of Economics, Indian Institute of
Management, Bangalore.)

http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=3&theme=&usrsess=1&id=229423
5.

Change has come !

Posted by: "Gladson Dungdung" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:07 am (PST)

*

Dear Friends !

Let's celebrate, enjoy and what not. ..! The change has come. The dream had
been realized. The marginalized people have occupied the top position of the
World and now it's tern for India. Are we ready?

Regards

Gladson Dungdung

Barack Obama to be first African-American prez

Barack Obama told supporters that "change has come to America," as he
addressed the country for the first time as the president-elect.

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there
in one year or even one term, but America — I have never been more hopeful
than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you — we as a people
will get there," Obama said in Chicago, Illinois.

Police estimated that 125,000 people gathered in Grant Park to hear Obama
claim victory.

Obama said he was looking forward to working with Sen. John McCain and Gov.
Sarah Palin "to renew this nation's promise in the months ahead."

McCain on Tuesday urged all Americans to join him in congratulating Sen.
Barack Obama on his projected victory in the presidential election.

"I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through
the many challenges we face," McCain said before his supporters in Phoenix,
Arizona.

"Today, I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so
much, and tonight, I remain her servant," he said.

McCain called Obama to congratulate him, Obama's campaign said.

Obama thanked McCain for his graciousness and said he had waged a tough
race.

President Bush also called Obama to congratulate him.

Bush told Obama he was about to begin one of the great journeys of his life,
and invited him to visit the White House as soon as it could be arranged,
according to White House spokeswoman Dana Perino.

With his projected win, Obama will become the nation's 44th president and
its first African-American leader.

Supporters in Chicago cheering, "Yes, we can" were met with cries of "Yes,
we did."

More than 1,000 people gathered outside of the White House, chanting,
"Obama, Obama!"

Obama's former rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton
said in a statement that "we are celebrating an historic victory for the
American people."

"This was a long and hard fought campaign but the result was well worth the
wait. Together, under the leadership of President Barack Obama, Vice
President Joe Biden, and a Democratic Congress, we will chart a better
course to build a new economy and rebuild our leadership in the world."
*
*Washington:* Democrat Barack Obama wrote his name indelibly into the pages
of American history on Wednesday, engineering a social and political
upheaval to become the country's first black president-elect in a runaway
victory over Republican John McCain.

The 72-year-old Arizona senator quickly called his opponent to concede
defeat and congratulate his rival in the longest and most costly
presidential campaign in American history.

McCain spoke graciously at an outdoor rally in Arizona, commending Obama on
his victory and emphasizing that he understood its special importance to
African-Americans.

"The American people have spoken, and spoken clearly," McCain told
disappointed supporters in Arizona, many who booed and growled as he called
for the nation to unify behind the victor and his running mate, Joe Biden.

The 47-year-old Illinois senator, son of a white mother from Kansas and an
African father from Kenya, mined a deep vein of national discontent,
promising Americans hope and change throughout a nearly flawless 21-month
campaign for the White House.
6.

Broadband in all Gram Panchayats by 2012

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:24 am (PST)

Broadband in all Gram Panchayats by 2012

The Indian government is shifting focus to small towns and rural areas for
up scaling broadband penetration to bridge the digital divide

*New Delhi:* In its efforts to bridge the urban and rural digital divide,
the Government of India has decided to provide broadband connectivity in all
Gram Panchayats, Government Higher Secondary Schools and Public Health
Centres by the end of 2012.

Disclosing this on Tuesday, the country's Minister of Communication and IT A
Raja, however, regretted that the telecom growth in rural areas has not kept
pace with that in urban areas.

"The government is working hard to correct this imbalance by shifting focus
to small towns and rural areas, but it has still to go a long way in
bridging the rural urban divide," he said at a function here.

Raja further stated that the government's decision to allot licences to more
operators was directed at raising competition, lowering tariffs and
enhancing rural tele-density.

He hoped that the current provision of over 7,000 mobile towers and future
projects of over 11,000 towers with Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF)
support will drastically change the mobile telephony scenario in rural
India.

Stating that connecting rural India is the next biggest opportunity before
the telecom sector, the Minister called upon the industry to play a
catalytic role in taking the telecom revolution to rural and remote areas.

He further asked for special emphasis on manufacturing and R&D and
innovative business models to achieve the main objective of higher rural
tele-density.

The Minister has reiterated that the process of allotment of spectrum for 3G
will be completed by January 2009.

Raja said, although the global economy is currently passing through the
recession phase, its impact has been comparatively less on telecom sector.
"India is well poised to surpass the target of 500 million connections well
before the timeline of 2010," he added.
*—iGovernment Bureau*
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group