1.

36garh Diary | 20 | Jan | 2009

Posted by: "Praveen" pmanikp...@gmail.com   praveen_irm

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:05 pm (PST)

Dear Friends,

Here is the News about Chhattisgarh in the media today…

A new chapter in Chhattisgarh: textbooks hailing Salwa Judum
Indian Express - New Delhi,India
Raipur: The controversial Salwa Judum movement has now been
incorporated in the Chhattisgarh school curriculum with a chapter on
"Necessity of social ...

Congress urges Chidambaram for CBI probe into Chhattisgarh tribal ...
Thaindian.com - Bangkok,Bangkok,Thailand
Raipur, Jan 19 (IANS) A delegation of Chhattisgarh's opposition
Congress urged union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Monday to order a
Central Bureau of ...

U-turn: 2 yrs on, SC says no to guidelines for encounters
Times of India - India
At that time, charges of fake encounters were flying thick and fast
against police and armed personnel -- from Gujarat to those posted in
naxalite-infested ...

More news can be found with full coverage at...
http://www.cgnet.in/Med/diary/cgdiary200109

Pls send your suggestions on how do you find CG Diary and how to make
it more useful for all of us.

If you see/know/experience something which you think should be shared
with people pls write to us at cgnet...@gmail.com . If you want we can
conceal your identity.

Regards,
Praveen Manikpuri
for CGnet moderators team

2a.

Re: Chhattisgarh Maoists recruiting minor girls: Police

Posted by: "sri venkat" ahvenkit...@gmail.com   viji123

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:20 pm (PST)

Here is a human rights report
http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/05naxal.htm

Naxalites in this region have recruited and used children for more
than a decade. They deploy children to gather intelligence, for sentry
duty, to make and plant landmines and bombs, and to engage in
hostilities against government forces.

They organise children between ages six and 12 into bal sangams
(children's associations), indoctrinating, training, and using them as
informers. Typically, children above the age of 12 are recruited into
other Naxalite ranks and trained in the use of rifles, landmines, and
improvised explosive devices.

Children in Naxalite dalams (armed guerrilla squads) are involved in
armed exchanges with government security forces. Even those children
who are not part of dalams are at high risk, as evidenced by an SPO
who said he was instructed to open fire on a group of children,
believing them to be a Naxalite street theater troupe.

Children who desert Naxalite ranks and surrender to the police seeking
protection find themselves in a vicious cycle. Not only are they
subject to brutal reprisals by Naxalites, but they may be re-recruited
as informers or SPOs by the Chhattisgarh police, under the garb of
"rehabilitation for surrendered Naxalites."

The conflict in Chhattisgarh has also severely impaired children's
access to education. Once Salwa Judum began its operations in
mid-2005, many children stopped attending school for fear of
abduction. The Naxalites have destroyed many schools, ostensibly to
prevent their use for military or Salwa Judum operations.

Extracts from accounts:

"I joined the military dalam when I was 13 or 14 years old. I was
studying in an ashram school (government-run residential school) in
the eighth standard when Naxalites came to my hostel. I didn't want to
go. They said I could study until the 10th standard, but I should go
with them. We got weapons training, learnt about landmines, and a
little karate. Finally, I had an opportunity to run away. One year
after I ran away, both my younger brothers (age 8 and 12) were killed
by the Naxalites in retaliation. They beat my mother and broke her
arm. They burned our house and took all our things."

-- Former child dalam (armed Naxalite guerrilla squad) member, December 2007.

3.

"Orientation program on access to land"has been conducted at Rajganp

Posted by: "Pravin Patel" reachppa...@yahoo.com   reachppatel

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:37 pm (PST)

Dear all

A two days "Orientation program on access to land" has been conducted at Rajganpur where the trainees were from 21 Gram Panchayats participated. Issues on land related problems, land less tribals, Forests Rights Act that recognises the land ownership rights in favour of tribals and traditional forest dwellers, Rights on Minor Forest produce and also Kendu Leaves, Bamboo, Cashew, Panchayat Extension of schedlued Areas act, 1996, land acquisition Act 1894, SC/ST Prevention of atrocity act were also the subjects on which expert persons gave their valuable lectures.

Particpants also raised the questions that were answered by the expert persons.

The program was oirgaised under the banner of Tribal Welfare Society with Durga Toppo, Pascal Barla, Cyril Lakra, Asha Devi, Pravin Patel, Libnus Kindo IAS (Retd), and others.

A follow up program is decided to be conducted in near future where experts on land matters from other organisations will also be invited.

Pravin Patel

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance