Title: chhattisgarh-net

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Study lays bare pathetic state of RTI

Posted by: "dearsaby" dears...@yahoo.com   dearsaby

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:46 am (PDT)

Asking for information under R.T.I. is something the officers do not appreciate. When one goes with an aplication the officer tries to make all possible excuses not to receive the applicaction.If he is forced to recie and request for a receipt he looks at te person as someone who is an unwanted element and wo creates problem etc. Then they wait till the fourth week to weite a letter or something to say that the request was not properly made etc. SO one has to again follow it up. Thenthe information is not given. You go on an appeal which takes a long time and further second appeal Ultimately by the time you get the information it six to eight months.
Most people do not follow up and then going for appeal is a tiresome affair. so give up.
Sebastian--- In chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com, CGNet <cgnet...@...> wrote:

> Study lays bare pathetic state of RTI
>
> Himanshi Dhawan, TNN 19 July 2009, 02:35am IST
>
> NEW DELHI: Right to Information is in a dismal state of affairs if a
> recent study is to be believed. Even four years after the RTI Act was
> enforced, awareness levels are as low as 26% in men and 12% in women.
> Significantly, not only are a majority of respondents unhappy with the
> replies that they receive to their queries but the unfriendly attitude
> of public information officers is a sore point too.
>
> The study, `Key issues and constraints in implementing the RTI Act',
> conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers and IMRB, observed that awareness
> levels are low for the disadvantaged community. If awareness levels
> are at 27% for the general public, only 14% OBCs/SC/STs are aware of
> the legislation. While 33% people in urban areas knew of the Act,
> there was a sharp drop in rural areas with awareness levels at 13%.
>
> The study took into account feedback from 2,000 information seekers
> and over 200 information providers at Centre, state and local levels
> in five states. It also included the feedback of 5,000 citizens on the
> Act.
>
> Amongst the other indicators, the report says the `quality of
> awareness' among the common public is significantly low. About 48% of
> citizens were aware that the Act had a provision for appeal and
> complaints. Even of these only 20% used it.
>
> The study also noted the lack of signages, and assistance to file RTIs
> as also the absence of a standardised form. What is brought out
> sharply is the "unfriendly'' attitude of public information officers
> (PIOs). About 59% of the respondents found PIOs lacking in courtesy.
>
> While 75% of those interviewed were dissatisfied with the quality of
> information provided, the same figure for SC/STs was as high as 86%.
>
> Lack of training, poor record management and failure to provide
> information within the stipulated 30 days are also seen as barriers to
> the information process.
>
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS-India-Study-lays-bare-pathetic-state-of-RTI/articleshow/4793382.cms

2.

Adivasi knowledge protection

Posted by: "Shubhranshu Choudhary" s...@cgnet.in

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:25 am (PDT)

[Attachment(s) from Shubhranshu Choudhary included below]

From: sudesh.kumar@jharkhand.org.uk

Communities the world over risk losing control over their traditional
knowledge because a UN agency insists on using existing intellectual
property standards for managing access to the information. This is among the
findings of the first detailed comparative study of customary approaches to
protecting and sharing traditional knowledge and biological resources,
published on 29 June 2009 by the International Institute for Environment and
Development (IIED), London. (Find the complete paper in attachment of this
email).

IIED has done a case-study of the Yanadi community of Chittoor and Nellore
districts of Andhra Pradesh, and suggested immediate recognition for
traditional knowledge, ahead of a meeting of the World Intellectual Property
Organization (WIPO). The study was based on participatory research with
indigenous and local communities in areas of important biodiversity -
including the Lepchas and Limbus in the eastern Himalayas, Yanadi in Andhra
Pradesh, and the Adivasi in Chattishgarh (besides in Kenya, Peru, Panama and
China).

“Yanadi traditional knowledge is on the verge of extinction. The youth are
not interested in learning it, and the status of elders is weakening due to
the extension of government control. The rich traditional knowledge of the
tribe is on the verge of extinction due to lack of recognition” says the
IIED’s study. It argued that the codified systems - Ayurveda, and Unani - in
India have relatively more recognition and patronage. But Yanadi traditional
health knowledge is not recognized by policy makers and is branded as the
“superstitious knowledge of illiterates, making the tribes afraid to come
out openly asserting their expertise”.

The researchers identified key components that international policy on
traditional knowledge and genetic resources should recognise. These include:

- recognition of collective rights and decision-making;
- means of sharing benefits equitably among communities;
- recognition of customary rights over genetic resources such as crop
varieties that communities have developed;
- enabling reciprocal access to genetic resources between users and
communities; and
- managing external access to traditional knowledge with community
protocols.
- They also stressed that ancestral rights to control knowledge cannot be
extinguished, even if knowledge has been shared with others, because of its
vital role in survival and identity.
--
Regards,

Sudesh Kumar
sudesh.kumar@jharkhand.org.uk

Attachment(s) from Shubhranshu Choudhary

1 of 1 File(s)

3.

Re: Digest Number 1922

Posted by: "ASHISH KUMAR" ashishk...@gmail.com

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 pm (PDT)

aap sabhi ke vichar jordar hai, par pure desh me mahaj 9 zilo me nareg ke
dura 100 dino tak majduri di gai behad chintaniy hai
es par kendri sarkar ko gambhirta se vichar karna chahie , sath hi naksal
prabhvit elako me es yojna ke vistar aur sucharu sanchalan ke bare me kary
yojna banana chahie ... kyoki ki ye yojana nakxlio se ladane me kargar sabit
ho sakti hai
-- ashish, hyderabad

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM, <chhattisgarh-n...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> chhattisgarh-net
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chhattisgarh-net;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcnAxZHNxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEzMjEzMDYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwODM0Mzc1NARzZWMDaGRyBHNsawNocGgEc3RpbWUDMTI0ODE2NzU1OA-->
> Messages In This Digest (11 Messages) 1. CGnet completes 5 years this
> month...and some tasks for all of you<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=oQSANZu1eHs.en.&am=!g-7ZRXWCxC65RfXmwdQ-Qmp-zY5NdHJYCoGUKwTiLw#1229c95862efc23f_1>From: CGNet 2.
> Unjust action against the democratic & peaceful protest of displaced<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=oQSANZu1eHs.en.&am=!g-7ZRXWCxC65RfXmwdQ-Qmp-zY5NdHJYCoGUKwTiLw#1229c95862efc23f_2>From: bidyut Mohanty 3a.
> Reforming Indian Education 2<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=oQSANZu1eHs.en.&am=!g-7ZRXWCxC65RfXmwdQ-Qmp-zY5NdHJYCoGUKwTiLw#1229c95862efc23f_3a>From: Sanjay Maharishi 3b.
> Re: Reforming Indian Education 2<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=oQSANZu1eHs.en.&am=!g-7ZRXWCxC65RfXmwdQ-Qmp-zY5NdHJYCoGUKwTiLw#1229c95862efc23f_3b>From: dearsaby 3c.

4.

cg-net ke panch sal pure hone ke lie dher sari badhaiya

Posted by: "ASHISH KUMAR" ashishk...@gmail.com

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 pm (PDT)

cg-net ke panch sal pure hone ke lie dher sari badhaiya
es adbhut grup ke bare me mai itna hi kahunga ki ese
pakar mai bahut kuch paya hu ... thanks
ashish, etv, hyderabad,
5.

Horrible Defense Lawyer Argument in Shiney Ahuja Rape Case

Posted by: "Kamayani BaliMahabal" kamay...@ymail.com   kamay...@ymail.com

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 pm (PDT)

Dear all

Blaming the victim'
is a common social response to violence against women, Supreme
Court has clearly stated
that past sexual history has no bearing on the current complaint of
sexual assault.And this horrible , atrocious, obnoxious defence in shiney ahuja rape case leaves me burning in anger. The judge should have and i hope will dismiss this defense totally.

To quote the lawyer:
"She belongs to a lower caste, which is aggressive by nature, and she wouldn't have submitted herself so easily. They are known for being aggressive,"such sterotyping , frivilous allegations cannot be tolerated anywhere, we should all protest and release a statement to Mr shirkant shivde."

http://in.news.yahoo.com/48/20090708/804/tnl-shiney-s-lawyer-gives-caste-angle-to.html

Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
Mobile-00919820749204
skype:lawyercumactivist

I carry a torch in one hand
And a bucket of water in the other:
With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
And put out the flames of Hell
So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
And see the real goal........................................By Rabia (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)

6.

Prof Sabharwal Murder Case

Posted by: "Kamayani BaliMahabal" kamay...@ymail.com   kamay...@ymail.com

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 pm (PDT)

Dear All

Please Endorse this letter and forward to your contacts and networks

and do send the endorsements to me at kamay...@ymail.com

in solidarity

Kamayani

The Chief Justice of India
Supreme Court
New Delhi

Sub: Acquittal of the Accused in Prof. Sabharwal Murder Case and
Visible Miscarriage of Justice: Remedial Measures

Respected Sir,

You may kindly recall that Prof HS Sabharwal (59), head of the
department of Political Science at Madhav College in Ujjain of Madhya
Pradesh, was brutally attacked by a mob of 25-30, students on August
26 2006 within the college premises when he was on his way out after
the student council elections were pronounced cancelled by the
teachers council. He succumbed to his injuries of three broken ribs
puncturing his lung and was declared brought dead to the hospital.

You may also kindly recall that these men who had attacked Prof.
Sabharwal all belong to the student organisation affiliated to the
then, and also current, party in power.

Given the close relationships between the leaders of the state
government and the accused, in apprehension of miscarriage of justice,
the son of the Late Professor had approached the Supreme Court of
India with the dual prayer for transferring the trial of the case
outside of Madhya Pradesh and investigation by the CBI, a central
agency.
The highest court, in its wisdom, while granted the first prayer did
not act on the second.

Despite extensive and vivid footages of the murderous attacks on Prof.
Sabharwal having been available, and also repeatedly televised, the
trial court has on July 13 last acquitted all the six accused facing
trial for “lack of evidence” saying the prosecution "failed miserably”
to prove their presence on the campus. The Additional District and
Sessions Judge Nitin Dalvi, who has pronounced the order after the
case was tried by Justice B A Sheikh after the Supreme Court had
ordered transfer of trial to Nagpur, Maharshtra from the BJP-ruled
Madhya Pradesh, has further observed that he regretted that Professor
Sabharwal could not get justice. It sounds all the more tragic and
ironical in view of the fact that Prof Sabharwal had suffered three
broken ribs puncturing his lung, which by all appearance was the cause
of his death. And yet the culprits go scot free.

The raucous celebrations and the Chief Minister openly welcoming the
order saying that it has only 'vindicated his earlier stand of calling
it an accident" on acquittal have also been widely televised and
reported. The state is also not going in appeal in the High Court.

While the son of the slain Professor is planning to move the High
Court for revision, an independent reinvestigation in the case, on the
lines of SIT investigations in selected cases of post-Godhra violence
in Gujarat at the instance of the Supreme Court, is what is
immediately called for to uphold the cause of justice.

Also the prosecutor in the case must enjoy the confidence of the kin
of the slain Professor.
There should also be adequate provisions for witness protection.
The 3 policemen who have retracted their statements should be tried for perjury.

We, the undersigned, hence earnestly urge you to kindly look into the
matter and take necessary actions to ensure the above.

That’s what is absolutely necessary to uphold the cause of justice in
the instant case. And this being a case where there is a demonstrative
misuse of “power”, upholding of justice in this case is extremely
crucial for preserving the high credibility of the judicial system in
India, further reinforced by some recent instances of interventions by
the Supreme Court - involving the murders of Priyadarshini Mattoo,
Jessica Lal and Nitish Katara, for example, where the accused were
visibly manipulating and subverting the process of justice from the
vantage positions of power.

Thanking you

Name Organisation Place

Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
Mobile-00919820749204
skype:lawyercumactivist

I carry a torch in one hand
And a bucket of water in the other:
With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
And put out the flames of Hell
So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
And see the real goal........................................By Rabia (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)

Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local http://in.local.yahoo.com/
7.

suggestions for better RH (reproductive health) services in CG

Posted by: "subhadrakhaparde" subhadr...@rediffmail.com

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 am (PDT)

The Government of Chhattisgarh is running many projects and programs from which the people are getting some benefits. Among the many service delivery systems an important one is that of health services. Of special significance is the health of women and children because they are more vulnerable than others. Presently the concentration of reproductive health services is only on safe motherhood and population control. However, women suffer from various gynaecological problems that arise mainly due to the patriarchal oppression they suffer and their inability to express their problems. There are two segments of the population who are specially vulnerable ¡V slum dwellers and poor villagers. Consequently special provisions have to be made for women in these areas as follows -

ľ Create a helping nature in the employees of the government health facilities .
ƒæ A ¡¥Women¡¦s Reproductive Health department¡¦ should be made in Chhattisgarh by bifurcating the Women and Child Development department because the latter does not have a focus on women¡¦s gynaecological problems. The concept of women and child development is more concerned about the infant than the personal problems of the mother. The reproductive health of women is a much wider concept encompassing not only women¡¦s mental and physical health status but also the provision of a healthy atmosphere in her home free from patriarchal oppression.
ľ Provision of appropriate laboratory and clinical diagnostic infrastructure for providing reproductive health facilities to women living in slums and rural areas is absolutely essential as these are lacking at present.
ľ The Asha and Usha activists in Chhattisgarh should be given a more broadbased and thorough training in reproductive health and rights issues.
ľ Women should be given information about and access to safe, effective, affordable and acceptable methods of family planning and regulation of fertility.
ƒæ Since reproductive health is more important for women it requires gender allocation of budgetary resources to women¡¦s health so as to reduce health risk that only women face.
ľ Universal access to good quality primary care and a referral system for higher level care necessary for effective sexual and reproductive health services have to be provided for obstetric emergencies, treatment of sexually transmitted diseases and general gynaecological problems .
ľ Provision of information and education on reproductive health, sexuality and gender equality through better trained Asha and Usha activists.
ƒæ Women¡¦s Organizations should be involved at all levels of policy making and programme design because hard choices have to be made for providing comprehensive reproductive health services.

subhadra khaperde
74, krishnodayanagar, khandwa naka, indore, madhya pradesh - 452001
phone no - 0731-2877047
cell no - 9826281773
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group