Title: chhattisgarh-net

Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

Messages

1.

Army commanders told to have action plan ready

Posted by: "S.Choudhary" smita...@gmail.com   shu36garh

Mon May 24, 2010 5:47 pm (PDT)

Army commanders told to have action plan ready

Shishir gupta
May 24 2010, New Delhi

With the Maoists offensive intensifying in Dantewada, Army commanders last
week were told by General V K Singh to be prepared for all eventualities and
have a plan of action ready on paper in case the attacks on paramilitary
forces and civilians by Left wing extremists escalate in the coming weeks.

Government sources told The Indian Express that rampaging Naxal attacks in
Indias economic heartland were discussed threadbare during the Army
Commanders Conference, including the possibility of Army being inducted into
operations in a worst case scenario. The assessment of the military brass is
that Naxal violence could worsen in the coming days and that there would be
pressure on both the government and the Army to deliver in case more
Dantewada-like (April 6) incidents happened in the near future.

While the Manmohan Singh government has taken a stance of not involving the
Army in the anti-Naxal operations at present and Defence Minister A K Antony
says that such a decision would not be taken through a public debate, the
matter has been discussed at the top level with Home Minister P Chidambaram
in the picture. In fact, the Home Minister at one point wanted some
Rashtriya Rifles battalions to be moved out from J&K for Naxal duties, but
the South Block conveyed that it was not possible to denude the
counter-insurgency grid in the Valley.

Sources said the Army commanders were in synergy with General Singh about
preparing the overall strategy in case the military was asked to take lead
in the anti-Naxal operations. During the debate on Naxal issue, the
General-Officer-Commanding-in-Chiefs, whose commands could be involved in
the operations, were told to work out the command and control structure. It
is understood that commanders of Eastern Command, Southern Command, Central
Command and South-West Command were told to earmark troops in case the Army
was asked to step in by the government.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Army-commanders-told-to-have-action-plan-ready/622706

2a.

Re: Statement by Supreme court petitioners on Maoist attack on civil

Posted by: "rahul" aaroh...@yahoo.com   aarohini

Mon May 24, 2010 5:53 pm (PDT)

Everybody in India including the Maoists, the State and "civil society organisations" vouch by democracy. the dispute is over the definition of democracy.

Rahul Banerjee