This message is forwarded to you by the editors of the Chiapas95
newslists.  To contact the editors or to submit material for posting send
to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

From: "Dana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ?iso-8859-1?Q?NN,The_Zapatistas_Join_Quere'taro's_Struggle_to_Defend_?
?iso-8859-1?Q?its_Water,Mar_12?Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:25:18 +0100

The Zapatistas Join Quere'taro's Struggle to Defend its Water
Marcos Proposes That Adherents to the Other Campaign Form Brigades to Man
the Encampment at El Bata'n and Stop the Drilling of Industrial Wells

By Bertha Rodri'guez Santos
The Other Journalism with the Other Campaign in Quere'rtaro
March 12, 2006
NarcoNews

EL BATA'N, AMEALCO, QUERE'TARO, MEXICO: Residents of 63 communities that
belong to the municipalities of Amealco and San Juan del Ri'o, as well as the
Pedro Escobedo and Jumilpan regions, have been maintaining an encampment
here to defend the area's most important aquifer. The government wants to
dig a total of fourteen wells here to provide water to industrial parks near
the state capital. The camp received the support of Subcomandante Marcos, of
the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), for its work to stop the
plans to extract the vital liquid for the benefit of powerful companies,
most of them multinational, without regard to the damage that will be done
to the local peasant farmers.

A strong wind kicks up great quantities of dust in these hills. In the town
of El Bata'n, part of the municipality of Amealco, the Mexican flag flies in
front of one of the two camps where, since last year men, women, children
and elderly people have installed themselves to block State Water Commission
(CEA) personnel from continuing to dig wells.

Also flying in the wind are red and black flags, symbols of a spirit of
rebellion in the face of what the peasant farmers, or campesinos, consider a
looting of their natural resources. According to the protesters, digging
equipment began arriving in El Bata'n during the administration of previous
governor Ignacio Loyola Vera, without even a warning to the local farmers,
many of whom work communal lands (known in Mexico as ejidos).

Martha, president of the Townspeople's Water Defense Committee.
Photo: D.R. 2006 Bertha Rodri'guez Santos
Martha, president of the Townspeople's Water Defense Committee, says that an
assembly of ejido dwellers was held on August 25, 2004, in response to local
people's questions about the presence of CEA workers in the area.

Francisco Loa Carvajal, who at the time worked as the ejido commissioner,
said that it was necessary to sign an agreement through which the government
would commit to carrying out public works in the public interest in exchange
for being allowed to dig three wells. But the majority of the ejido members
did not agree.

During "Delegate Zero's" visit to the El Bata'n camp on March 9, the
campesinos explained:

"On November 10, new digging machines began to arrive. They began working
without the commissioner having informed us of anything. On November 25 we
held an assembly attended by comuneros (communal farmers outside of the
ejido legal framework), women and children, and the commissioner said that
there would be no meeting because this was an issue strictly for the ejido
members."

Photo: D.R. 2006 Bertha Rodri'guez Santos
The ejido commissioner said that there was already an agreement that the
majority of the members had signed. But the farmers argue that this only
happened because of a combination of forged signatures, bribing of ejido
members with 20,000 pesos ($1,850 dollars) to sign, and even using the
supposed signatures of several dead people.

They also denounced this commissioner's practice of asking for copies of ID
cards and birth certificates, supposedly to apply for aid for the community,
but in the end charging for the delivery of this aid. For example, he
obtained fenceposts and barbed wire to distribute among the ejido members,
but charged them each 1000 pesos ($90).

The people expressed their disagreement with this, but the work began
anyway, without the permission of those who would be affected. Thirty police
officers soon arrived to protect the equipment operators.

The campesinos' rage grew, leading to Loa Carvajal's removal from office on
February 8, 2005. Isai'as Eugenio Dura'n Gachuzo replaced him, and "once
again, without the community's permission, got the well project going again,
because he said that he was with the government and not with the people.
Both the former and the new commissioner began to come together to do the
work," complained Bertha, who was once jailed for her opposition to the well
digging.

According to her version of the events, "the people from the State Water
Commission put the use of three wells to a vote - two were for the city of
Quere'taro and one was for the community. But they dug 520 meters deep for
the city wells, and only 270 meters for the community. We ejido members and
comuneros do not agree with exchanging our water for public works projects."

Martha said that throughout the process there have been many irregularities,
in addition to the repression from the police. "On June 17, at 8:30 in the
morning, the patrol cars and trucks began to arrive. Commissioner Francisco
Loa Carvajal said that he was going to bring the government to contain us.
We told him again that we would not trade our water for public works, and he
went to get the police. They locked me up for 24 hours and beat several
boys."

Photo: D.R. 2006 Bertha Rodri'guez Santos
She added that around noon, some 200 state police entered the community,
frightening the people, and looking to intimidate the inhabitants of the 63
communities opposed to the digging because of their concern that in ten
years their water supplies will run out.

A young mother, still angry, said: "They attacked us, they beat my sister,
and despite this they are filing charges against her. They set their dogs on
us."

Martha also comments: "On June 18 they arrested us for not allowing them to
work. The people arrested were: Mari'a Guadalupe Noriega, Gilberto Jime'nez
and Rolando Jime'nez. The police beat them and they then had to pay 9,000
pesos ($840), 500 pesos ($47) and 1,600 pesos ($150) bail, respectively."

The new commissioner pressed charges against Enrique Leo'n Garci'a, Rogelio
Nieto, Rogelio Tovar, Agusti'n Mari'nez, Lupe Soto, Onofre Coli'n, Nicola's
Soto, Arturo Soto, Vicente Soto, Pedro Noriega, Cecilia Coli'n, Cindy Loa,
Guadalupe Loa, Celia Marti'nez, Serafi'n and Guillermo Maldonado, Elena
Herna'ndez, Cirilo Jime'nez, Rolando and Gilberto Jime'nez, Janet Vela'zquez and
Mari'a Guadalupe Noriega.

The dissenters said that while the discontent with the digging grew, the
government pressed for the construction of a new highway and a church. The
new church was actually built right next to another existing church, "as if
we were so Catholic [that we needed two]."

"What they wanted was ownership of the water, in order to take it to the big
businessmen in Quere'taro, because Governor Garrrido Patro'n promised them new
wells in exchange for their support of his election campaign. that water is
going to go off to the industrial zone and the business owners," the
campesinos said.

It is important to point out that at the end of the 1960s an important
industrial center began to be developed in the city of Quereta'ro, and in
four decades five industrial parks have formed: Bernardo Quintana, El
Tepeyac, Quere'taro, Benito Jua'rez and El Marque'z. These parks are
overflowing with multinational corporations such as Coca-Cola, Daewoo, John
Deer, Kimberly Klark, Arbill and many others.

With respect to the supposed agreement between the El Bata'n authorities and
the government, the members of other nearby ejidos and communities feel that
such an agreement should not be respected, as "the aquifer is not just in El
Bata'n, but stretches across the El Rinco'n and Quiotillos region as well as
part of Puerta de Alegri'as. The El Bata'n authorities cannot negotiate away
an aquifer that belongs to an entire region."

Others warned of the danger of allowing overexploitation of the aquifer, and
cited the example of the Laguna Servi'n area. Eight sources of fresh water
have already been lost there, in addition to the fact that the communities
have suffered the illegal ransacking of their forests.

One campesino denounced the fact that since 1993 the ejidos and communities
in the San Juan del Ri'o, Laguna Servi'n and San Pablo regions have faced
logging in their forests "with the consent of the Semarnat (Federal
Secretariat of the Environment and Natural Resources) and Profepa (Federal
Office of Environmental Protection)." This situation "escalated with the
beginning of the Vicente Fox administration." According to one speaker from
the region, 2,500 acres of forest have been cleared at the margins of the
law."

He accused former governor Ignacio Loyola, who has said on several occasions
that these forests should be exploited, of promoting the massive logging. At
the same time, the logging has been promoted by politicians from the
leftwing Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) such as Marti'n Mendoza
Villa and Juan Tovar, a town councilman in Amealco.

The campesinos held the Kimberly Klark paper company responsible. Among the
company's stockholders is former governor and current Profepa head Ignacio
Loyola Vera.

The region's inhabitants accuse Loyola Vera of taking advantage of his job
as a public servant. Instead of supporting the poor people, they said, he is
facilitating the sacking of the region's natural resources, including water,
to the benefit of the rich.

An older campesina woman said: "I am willing to do whatever it takes to
defend our water. Why is the governor going to take our water away? It doesn
't matter to him if he ends up killing people but there is no reason for him
to take the water. If he wants to sell something, he should sell his house,
or if he has power over his wife then, well, he should sell her, but I don't
even think he owns her life because we all owe our lives to God. I am
against them threatening us."

Another housewife said that the ejido commissioner listen to the women of
the community, but rather just some male ejido members that sold out. She
asked if the men didn't need water, too.

"We women do need water. We're old now, we're married. I've been living here
for 71 years and we have never faced the kind of problems we're facing now.
It pains me greatly that the water is going to be taken away, because it is
the only thing we have here in Bata'n. Our ancestors defended the land and it
falls upon us to defend the water," she said, sobbing.

The campesinos, angry about the political parties' manipulations, warned
that they are not going to participate in the upcoming elections, as "the
people from the government ignore all of us." They are all interested in
struggling to defend the water. "We are interested in water, not money,
because we can't eat money."

The experience that the campesinos related seemed to lift the spirits of the
Zapatista spokesman, now named by the Other Campaign as "Delegate Zero." He
said he saw in this struggle an example of what is coming across the
country: the looting of natural resources that are the common property of
communities for the benefit of the businessmen, with the government playing
the role of middleman.

"The system takes from the poor to give to the rich. their progress is our
misery," said the Zapatista representative.

Marcos exhorted those present not to give up the struggle. "If they take the
water from here they are going to take other things with it: the trees, the
climate. You will no longer have all the things that can be planted today.
It's not about the price. If they take the water it would be like arriving
with a knife and telling you, I am going to cut out your heart and give you
20,000 pesos for it. How much is one's heart worth? Two million, 20 million
pesos? As soon as they take it, everything is going to start to die. Bata'n
will die without water; the trees, the animals, the crops, the sky, they
will all die, because everything is being sustained there. If they take the
water, it's not like taking a few pears, or taking a few trees; they are
taking the heart of this land."

Marcos said that he will ask the adherents to the Other Campaign in
Quere'taro, including the students at the Autonomous University of Quere'taro
(UAQ), to organize brigades to support the encampments. He referred to the
existence of support brigades for Chiapas and suggested that they could also
work in these nearby camps, because "the struggle is right here." This
support would include the adherents' accompaniment in the camps and also
economic contributions, with which the movement can move forward. In his
opinion, if the business interests succeed in taking El Bata'n's water, a
piece of the country will die, and that cannot be allowed.

The dissent one feels in this state is profound. The indignation and courage
in the face of so much repression broke the silence, and could be heard from
the mouths of indigenous people, campesinos, intellectuals, youths and
workers.

At first glance everything here is "normal." The workers, most of them
migrants from other regions of the country and a great number of them women,
show up at the factories every day, where they are exposed to the worst of
working conditions and low salaries. The indigenous and the peasant farmers
might seem to be resigning themselves to the seizure of their lands and the
scorn that they deserve from the rich urban classes. Nevertheless, a force
that seems to well up from deep within and to come from times long past is
crying out that it is vital to seize this opportunity to rebuild a new,
different country.