This message is forwarded to you by the editors of the Chiapas95
newslists.  To contact the editors or to submit material for posting send
to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:47:20 -0400
From: Mexico Solidarity Network <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MSN News and Analysis April 23-29, 2007

MEXICO SOLIDARITY NETWORK
WEEKLY NEWS AND ANALYSIS
APRIL 23-29, 2007

1. JUSTICE IN OAXACA?
2. CNDH UNDER ATTACK
3. MEXICO CITY DE-PENALIZES ABORTION
4. US PLANS TO SEAL BORDER
5. DC FAST FOR IMMIGRANT RIGHTS
6. INDIGENOUS INTERCONTINENTAL CONFERENCE SET FOR OCTOBER
7. GOVERNMENT ORDERED TO PROTECT FLOC OFFICE IN MONTERREY
8. COMMUNIQUA~‰ OF THE INDIGENOUS REVOLUTIONARY CLANDESTINE COMMITTEE - GENERAL
COMMAND OF THE ZAPATISTA NATIONAL LIBERATION ARMY
9. MSN PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS (Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED])

1. JUSTICE IN OAXACA?
Marcelino Coache, an advisor to the Popular Assembly of the People of Oaxaca
(APPO), was sentenced to prison this week, despite winning a federal judicial
restraining order that should have freed him.  Coache, who was charged with
sedition, arson and criminal association, was arrested in December by the
Federal Preventative Police along with the Sosa brothers, perhaps the best
known APPO leaders, after leaving a negotiating session with federal
authorities.  He was charged with crimes supposedly committed during the police
invasion of Oaxaca City in November.  After winning the federal restraining
order, Coache was on his way out of the Cosolapa Prison when authorities
re-arrested him after a local judge re-classified the crimes.  The State
Attorney General requested the reclassification in what was widely interpreted
as a manipulation of the justice system.

2. CNDH UNDER ATTACK
The National Human Rights Commission (CNDH), a government agency, came under
further attack this week when Congress demanded testimony from Human Rights
Ombudsman Jose Soberanes in the death of Ernestina Ascencion.  According to
family members and medical professionals, Ascencion, a poor indigenous woman,
was raped by soldiers and died twelve hours later.  Soberanes, who comes from a
military family and has a long history defending the army, accused local
authorities of mishandling the investigation.  But local doctors, including a
gynecologist, offered documents earlier in the week proving rape, and family
members insist that Ascencion told them she was raped by soldiers stationed
within 100 yards of where the family encountered her, beaten, bloodied and near
death.  Every political party except the PAN questioned Soberanes harshly
concerning his public statements that exonerated the military, despite the fact
that the investigation is still in progress.  Soberanes also was!
  criticized for conducting his own investigation, which is prohibited by law
until all official investigations are completed.  Soberanes has gone so far as
to threaten local doctors and police with legal prosecution if they continue to
support the thesis of rape and murder by army troops.  Various local witnesses
have received death threats, but Soberanes refuses to offer police protection
or publicly condemn the threats.

3. MEXICO CITY DE-PENALIZES ABORTION
The Mexico City assembly approved 46-19 the de-penalization of abortion this
week, leading Cardinal Norberto Rivera to excommunicate Mayor Marcelo Ebrard
from the Catholic Church.  The law has been under discussion for five months,
generating a heated debate that mobilized the Catholic Church against the
majority pro choice forces in this city of 20 million.  The law allows abortion
through the twelfth week of pregnancy and calls on the Mayor to provide the
necessary medical services for women within 60 days.  President Felipe Calderon
of the conservative National Action Party condemned the law and promised that
federal health facilities would not provide abortions.

4. US PLANS TO SEAL BORDER
In 2008, the US-Mexico border will be a^€oesealed,a^€ according to David
Aguilar, head of the Border Patrol.  The Border Patrol will increase its force
from the current 14,000 to 18,500 agents by next year, and the use of high
technology, including unmanned drones, heat detection devices and a 700-mile
wall, will reduce undocumented migration by 95 percent, according to Aguilar.
In fiscal year 2006, border apprehensions decreased by 30% from the previous
year due mainly to increased border security, according to Aguilar.  At least
153 people died trying to cross the border over the past six months a^€" nearly
one person per day.  New legal procedures initiated recently for undocumented
immigrants in the Rio Bravo sector means that detainees must appear before a
judge, and if apprehended a second time trying to cross they can spend time in
prison.  These measures are expected to be extended to the entire border region.

5. DC FAST FOR IMMIGRANT RIGHTS
The DC Committee for Immigrant Rights, the Metro DC Interfaith Sanctuary
Network, Mexicanos Sin Fronteras and the Latino Media Collective announced a
week-long fast this week for immigrant rights.  Fasters are gathered in a small
park in the center of the Mount Pleasant neighborhood at Lamont Street NW and
Mount Pleasant Street NW.  Fasters are demanding an end to ICE raids and
deportations, and normalized legal status for all undocumented migrants.
Fasters are calling on the Mayor and city council to declare DC a sanctuary
city for migrants.  The fast will end at a 4pm rally on May 1 at Malcolm X Park.

6. INDIGENOUS INTERCONTINENTAL CONFERENCE SET FOR OCTOBER
Indigenous leaders from Mexico and the US met with EZLN leaders this week to
launch organizing for the Indigenous Intercontinental Conference.  The
conference is scheduled for October 11-14 in the Yaqui community of Vicam in
Rio Yaqui, Sonora.

7. GOVERNMENT ORDERED TO PROTECT FLOC OFFICE IN MONTERREY
The Inter-American Human Rights Commission ordered the Mexican government to
provide protection for the Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC) office in
Monterrey after FLOC staff person Santiago Cruz was murdered on April 9.  The
FLOC office, which processes H2-A visas for farmworkers who are automatically
enrolled in a union, has been under attack since it opened last year.
Mafia-like organizations have historically controlled H2-A processing, charging
prospective workers illegal fees for the visas.  The FLOC office suffered a
series of break-ins which authorities in Monterrey failed to investigate.
Three weeks after Cruza^€™s murder, authorities report no leads or suspects.
The PRI, which controls the Nuevo Leon state government and maintains strong
influence in Monterrey, has been historically affiliated with the illegal visa
processing.

Mexico, April 8, 2007

The EZLN, by means of the Sixth Commission, respectfully addresses friends and
adherents to the Sixth Declaration of the Selva Lacandona and sympathizers of
the Other Campaign, to announce the following:

I. CONCERNING THE INTERNAL DISCUSSION ON THE SIX POINTS OF THE OTHER CAMPAIGN

A) In March 2007, the Sixth Commission of the EZLN entrusted all the
deliberations received directly or through the organizational units of the
Other Campaign throughout the country to a group of companeras and companeros
adherents to systematize the results and to present them afterwards.

B) The work was not easy, but in the course of the next few days these [EMAIL
PROTECTED] will present the final results, and as soon as we have them, we will
make them known to all the [EMAIL PROTECTED] of the Other Campaign. For now, we
can say that they represent the words of more than 10,000 adherents,
individuals and families as well as groups, collectives and organizations (not
including the Zapatistas).

II. CONCERNING THE FIRST STAGE OF THE DIRECT PARTICIPATION OF THE EZLN IN THE
OTHER CAMPAIGN:

A) As the EZLN, we believe that the first stage has already covered what we
intended: to listen in order to know and respect. Thru this process, struggles
and resistances throughout the country were brought to light, and the majority
of us who are part of this process will be able to say who we are, where we
are, how we see the world and our country, and what we want to do and how we
are going to do it.

B) Contrary to what some of those from above have said, the Other Campaign
survived the electoral hangover, and advances to become a symbol for the
struggles from below and to the left. People who had previously stayed away are
now turning their attention towards the Other Campaign, wondering whether this
might provide a way to consolidate an independent and leftist path in the
struggle for another Mexico.

C) Those who predicted that the Other Campaign would have no echo in the
Northern part of our country, claimed that the support in the North for the
PAN-affiliated right would prevail, were utterly mistaken. Northern Mexico not
only suffers the same injustices as the rest of our population, it is also rich
in anti-capitalist and leftist struggles. The (Other) North also exists.

D) According to what we have seen and continue to see as Zapatistas, the
indigenous peoples, the young people and the women, as workers and with many
differences between them, are representing the most determined part of the
Other Campaign.

III. CONCERNING THE REPRESSION SUFFERED BY OUR [EMAIL PROTECTED] THROUGHOUT THE
COUNTRY, PARTICULARLY IN YUCATAN, AND THE DEMAND FOR FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IN
ATENCO AND OAXACA

A) Almost one year ago, in May 2006, after the cowardly attack against the
people of San Salvador Atenco, a campaign of persecution and repression against
[EMAIL PROTECTED] of the Other Campaign has been unleashed throughout the
country. Since then the construction of a network has been initiated that will
allow us to denounce the repressions we are suffering, and, although still in
an imperfect manner, to support each other.

B) Although not in the same order of magnitude as the repressions against
Atenco and Oaxaca, attacks have been and are perpetrated against our [EMAIL
PROTECTED] of the Otra, which have not received the full support of the
adherents.

C) In addition to the attacks and harassments against Zapatista indigenous
communities, there is also the repression and the incarceration suffered
presently by our [EMAIL PROTECTED] of the Other Yucatan, who have been attacked
for demonstrating against the visit of George Bush in these lands.  Authorities
are trying to prevent several of our [EMAIL PROTECTED] from being released by
setting very high bails, or they are keeping them imprisoned with ridiculous
accusations lacking any legal basis. In this specific case, we are making a
special call to all [EMAIL PROTECTED] of the Other Campaign in Mexico and north
of the Rio Bravo [Rio Grande] to initiate, starting with April 10, a campaign
of support and solidarity with our [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the Other Yucatan to
secure their freedom.

D) The struggle for the freedom of our imprisoned [EMAIL PROTECTED] of Atenco
is not yet over.  We are also calling on the entire Other Campaign to
demonstrate together on May 3rd and 4th demanding liberty and justice for
Atenco and Oaxaca.  In particular, on May 4, 2007, a rally will take place in
Mexico City, starting at the Angel of Independence at 16:00 hours (4:00 PM) and
proceeding towards the Zocalo of Mexico City. On May 5 a motorized rally to
Santiaguito prison will take place to let our [EMAIL PROTECTED] who are
prisoners know that we have not forgotten them and that they are not alone.

IV. ACCORDING TO THE ZAPATISTAS ON WHAT THE SECOND STAGE SHOULD ENTAIL, AND ON
THEIR DIRECT PARTICIPATION IN IT

A) Having fulfilled the first stage of listening and learning, we Zapatistas
believe that it is already necessary to proceed developing a first draft of the
national struggle program. The suffering of our people cannot consist any
longer of just public denunciations, they must begin to be organized and
attention brought to those who are suffering. It is no longer enough, for
instance, to denounce the Stalinist reform of Article 27 of the Constitution
that has legalized land robbery against farmers and indigenous communities. We
must begin to not only propose the annulment of this legalized injustice, but
also to articulate what should replace it from below and to the left. In every
corner of our country this deprivation has a name, but the solution demanded by
the people has concrete words also.

B) All the sufferings and demands must be systematized to later become part of
a plan for a national struggle. The plan for a national struggle is not to be
designed by a single group or organization, neither by the EZLN nor by a
leadership nor by a group of organizations. It is to be edified with the
demands expressed by our people in their own voice.

C) Therefore, we are calling on all adherents to the Sixth Declaration of the
Selva Lacandona and all organizational units of the Other Campaign to continue
to renew or initiate the contacts with those in our movement whom they have
approached, sympathized or are allied with, this time in order to elevate the
first draft of what will come to be the plan for a national struggle.

D) The Sixth Commission of the EZLN will do the same throughout the country, to
begin lending form and content to the pain and the struggle organized from
below and to the left.

V. CONCERNING HOW THE SIXTH COMMISSION OF THE EZLN WILL ORGANIZE ITSELF FOR THE
SECOND STAGE OF DIRECT PARTICIPATION IN THE OTHER CAMPAIGN

A) For its participation in this second stage, the Sixth Commission of the EZLN
has established the following territorial distribution in zones and regions:

NORTHERN ZONE - with 3 regions:

Northwestern Region - Sinaloa, Baja California Sur, Baja California, Sonora,
Chihuahua, and the trans-border region.

North-central Region - Aguascalientes, Durango, Zacatecas, Central San Luis
Potosi and Highland of San Luis Potosi.

Northeastern Region - Coahuila, la Comarca Lagunera, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and
North of the Rio Bravo.

CENTRAL ZONE - With 3 regions:

East-Central Region - Queretaro, Hidalgo, Puebla, Tlaxcala, central and
northern Veracruz and the Huastecas.

Mid-Central Region - State of Mexico and the Federal District.

West-Central Region - Nayarit, Jalisco, Colima, Guanajuato and Michoacan.

SOUTHERN ZONE - With 2 regions:

Southern Region - the states of Morelos, Guerrero and Oaxaca.

Southeastern Region - the states of Chiapas, southern Veracruz, Tabasco,
Campeche, Yucatan and Quintana Roo.

INDIGENOUS PEOPLES - In agreement with the National Indigenous Congress, a
joint effort of the CNI-EZLN will visit the adherents who are indigenous
peoples throughout the national territories.

B) In the course of the next few days the installation of the three delegations
of the Sixth Commission in the Northwestern, North-central and Northeastern
regions of the Northern Zone of Mexico will be completed. They will stay and
work with the [EMAIL PROTECTED] of the Otra in the states in this part of our
country, beginning on April 10, 2007 and concluding the beginning of June of
the same year.

C) Over the next few days we will also establish contact with the respective
delegation of the National Indigenous Congress, to visit the indigenous peoples
in the North of our country.

D) The Delegations of the Sixth Commission will hold visits according to the
same format as the first journey, that is, we will establish dates for each
state, the Otras in each place will send us their activity proposals and we
will make an agenda. We are only asking you, as before, to support us with
lodging, food and if possible with the fuel for transportation.

E) The Zapatista delegation that will carry out the work in the North of Mexico
is composed by Comandante Zebedeo, Comandanta Miriam, Comandante David,
Comandante Tacho, Comandanta Susana, Comandanta Yolanda, Comandante Moises,
Comandanta Sandra, Comandante Emiliano, Comandanta Eucaria, Comandante Maxo,
Comandanta Kelly, Comandante Eduardo, Comandanta Dalia, Comandante Guillermo
and Insurgente Subcomandante Marcos. The delegation of the Sixth Commission for
the Northeast of Mexico (Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, La Laguna, Tamaulipas and North
of the Rio Bravo) is already in place in the city of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon. The
delegation of the Sixth Commission for North-central Mexico (Aguascalientes,
Zacatecas, Durango, central San Luis Potosi and highland of San Luis Potosi) is
already in place in the city of Aguascalientes. The delegation of the Sixth
Commission for the Northwest of Mexico (Sinaloa, Baja California Sur, Sonora,
Baja California and Chihuahua), for the Cucapa peace camp!
  and the indigenous peoples (together with the National Indigenous Congress)
will initiate their respective works on April 10, in the indigenous Cucapa
community of El Mayor, in Baja California.

F) From September to December of 2007, the Sixth Commission of the EZLN will
form new delegations, which will disperse themselves and go to the Central and
Southern Zones to accompany the work of the Other Campaign in those regions.

VI. CONCERNING THE OTHER CAMPAIGN FROM BELOW AND TO THE LEFT

So far ignored by those who are from above, but among ourselves we are seeing
and listening, the Other Campaign continues searching, finding and
constructing, not only for those walking but also a way, a path and a
destination: an Other Mexico, a better one, more just, free and dignified.

LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ATENCO!
LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR OAXACA!

>From the mountains of Southeastern Mexico
For the Indigenous Revolutionary Clandestine Committee - General Command of the
Zapatista Army of National Liberation Sixth Commission of the EZLN

Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos
Mexico, April 2007

9. MSN PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS (Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED])

STUDY ABROAD:
June 3 a^€" July 14, 2007: Summer Study Abroad Program. Earn 8 credits studying
Indigenous Social Movements and the Other Campaign in Chiapas, Mexico. 8
credits.

June 17 a^€" July 28, 2007: Summer Study Abroad Program. Earn 8 credits
studying Migration: Dynamics and Debates. Students spend 16 days in Tlaxcala, a
sending state for undocumented migrants; 16 days in Ciudad Juarez, a center of
migration, maquiladora workers and undocumented border crossings; and 10 days
in Washington, DC, home of the community-based group Mexicanos Sin Fronteras
and center of the current debate on immigration reform. 8 credits

September 2 a^€" December 7, 2007: Study in Chiapas, Tlaxcala and Mexico City,
with a focus on indigenous movements, campesino organizations, and urban
movements, 16 credits.

September 9 a^€" December 14, 2007: Study in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua City,
Mexico City and Chiapas, with a focus on border dynamics, urban movements and
indigenous movements, 16 credits.

January 27 a^€" May 2, 2008: Study in Chiapas, Tlaxcala and Mexico City, with a
focus on indigenous movements, campesino organizations, and urban movements. 16
credits.

February 3 a^€" May 9, 2008: Study in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua City, Mexico
City and Chiapas, with a focus on border dynamics, urban movements and
indigenous movements. 16 credits.

SPEAKING TOURS:

October 7-20: Speaking tour a^€" Zapatista solidarity, the Otra CampaA~+-a,
Zapatista artisanry.  A speaker from the Community Human Rights Defenders
Network (Red de Defensores Comunitarias) from Chiapas will speak about
international solidarity and the Other Campaign.  The tour will feature
Zapatista artisanry produced by womena^€™s cooperatives in Chiapas.
Pacific Northwest

October 14-27: Speaking tour - Immigrant rights, featuring a speaker from the
National Assembly of Ex-Braceros who will the current debate on immigration
reform, international immigration dynamics and previous experiences with guest
worker programs.
California

October 21 a^€" November 3: Speaking tour - Immigrant rights, featuring a
speaker from Centro Sin Fronteras who will discuss community-based struggles
for immigrant rights and the recent rash of anti-immigrant roundups throughout
the US.
Chicago and Midwest

October 28 a^€" November 3: Mexico in Focus, featuring speakers three speakers
from Mexico who will discuss the Other Campaign, police repression in Atenco,
and community-based organizing in Tlaxcala.  The Mexico in Focus series is
particularly suited to university settings and conference-style presentations.
New England

November 4-17: Speaking tour a^€" Immigrant rights and the Otra CampaA~+-a,
featuring a speaker from the Consejo Nacional Urbano Campesino (National
Urban-Rural Council) who will discuss immigration dynamics and community-based
organizing in the Other Campaign.
Mid Atlantic Coast

November 4-17: Speaking tour - Zapatista solidarity and the Otra CampaA~+-a,
featuring Zapatista artisanry.  An activist from Chiapas will discuss the
politics of the Other Campaign.  The tour will feature Zapatista artisanry
produced by womena^€™s cooperatives in Chiapas.
Southwest

DELEGATIONS:
October 27 a^€" November 3: Ciudad Juarez a^€" Investigate the dynamics of the
US-Mexico border region, focusing on the impact of neoliberalism, including the
femicides, maquiladoras, narco-trafficking and immigration dynamics.

ALTERNATIVE ECONOMY INTERNSHIPS:
Develop markets for artisanry produced by women's cooperatives in Chiapas and
make public presentations on the struggle for justice and dignity in Zapatista
communities.

Interns are currently active in Washington, D.C.; Lancaster, PA; Rutland, MA;
Brooklyn, NY; Poughkeepsie, NY; Stonington, ME; Grand Rapids, MI; St Paul, MN;
Chicago, IL; Guelph, Canada; Ontario, Canada; Spokane, WA; Turner, OR; Chico,
CA; Davis, CA; Sacramento, CA; Redlands, CA; Provo, UT; Albuquerque, NM; El
Paso, TX; Austin, TX; and Lilburn, GA.

Mexico Solidarity Network http://www.mexicosolidarity.org
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to the mailing
list [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unsubscription :