This message is forwarded to you by the editors of the Chiapas95
newslists.  To contact the editors or to submit material for posting send
to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 22:18:14 -0500
From: George Salzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[windows-1252] Servicios de Comunicacio'n de Oaxaca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Breaking the communication blockade -- Community radio for
    people's voices

Oaxaca, 3 May 2007
Friends,
      I fully endorse this call for support of popular radio in Oaxaca
from Tonee Mello, who initiated the Oaxaca Study-Action Group with me in
December 2005. Here's Tonee's message:

Subject: [oaxacastudyactiongroup] APPEAL
From: Tonee Mello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mis Amigos,

Mid afternoon on May 1, Labor Day, students took over the radio station
at the Autonomous University Benito Juarez of Oaxaca. They explained that
they intended to give ample coverage to the labor day events, which
included a march by the Popular Assembly Movement.

By seven o'clock that night, government supporters were already hard at
work jamming the university signal. By 10:00 the students were no longer
audible.

The fear of the government is that the public hear honest news, news of
real events that affect the lives of people without money and power, in
towns lacking any access to newspapers. Their only source of news is
government controlled corporate television.

The only available remedy is community radio. Right now, young Oaxaque~os
are working to put on the air as many community radio facilities as the
communities can afford. The technical support project for them is
completely Oaxaque~o in staff and muscle. It's controlled and managed at
the base, in a system of democratic participation. But the funding comes
in part from people like you.

This is the moment to show Oaxaca communities that they are not alone in
wanting access to the truth as it relates to them in their towns and
villages.

Your donation, of any amount, will help to maintain the vital training
and technical support provided by Servicios de Comunicacio'n de Oaxaca
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

The best way to send money is to send a check made out to "Jean
Rodriguez" for Servicios de Comunicacio'n de Oaxaca and mail it to
    Jean Rodriguez
    917 N. Van Ness
    Fresno, CA 93728, USA
Her telephone number is 559-445-0425.
Her email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jean can refer you to contacts in Oaxaca.

Thanks kindly,
Tonee Mello

      One other item on radio. The last e-mail distribution, on 22 April,
included an announcement of the formation of Doctor Bertha Mu~oz's Radio
Escopeta. That e-mail and a lively exchange that followed it, is now
posted at http://site.www.umb.edu/faculty/salzman_g/S2/2007-04-25.htm .

       All comments and criticisms are [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

           If you want to be off my e-mail list, please let me know.
                 If you want to be added, please write me with
                       your full name and e-mail address