I have no doubt in my mind that the official driver is a mess.
Evan and I had some "fun" dealing with it.

Long story short, the official driver is a prime example of poor engineering.
The code that handles MongoDB's strong suit, "ReplSet" is pretty much unusable.
This is ONLY true for the Erlang driver, all other languages are fine and work
well with ReplSets.
:(
<me>
  <soapbox>off</soapbox>