Stephen,

I haven't tried this in a few months, but last time I checked, chicken
will use any options you provided at ./configure time.  So for example
you could probably say

./configure CFLAGS="-O2 -L/sw/lib -I/sw/include"

and the options should be used automatically in the future.  Some
people have other ways of passing arguments to configure (there was a
discussion about it on the list) but for me that way always works.
This assumes you -always- want /sw to be looked at, which may be a
problem if you also install stuff in /usr/local/lib occasionally.

Otherwise I have been using the "-c" option to chicken-setup as you have found.