On 2 March 2014 17:00, Matt Gushee <m...@gushee.net> wrote:

> > Does this mean that I am loading the module wrong?
>
> No. The numbers egg redefines all the standard arithmetic 'operators'
> (quotes because, as you are probably aware, they are really functions
> that just happen to be represented with the symbols we typically call
> operators) to work with large integers, rationals, and complex
> numbers. I think the main reason for the warnings is to make you aware
> of unintentional naming conflicts, but in this case the redefinitions
> are deliberate and should not cause any errors.

Ok. Does this also mean that there is no way to suppress these messages
(without also suppressing a similar message if I accidentally redefine
something I shouldn't)?

> > Incidentally, what is the difference between (require-extension xyz) and
> > (use xyz)? Which one should I use?
>
> If I'm not mistaken they are completely equivalent in Chicken Scheme.
> 'require-extension' is conformant with SRFI-55
> (http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-55/srfi-55.html), so in principle it is
> more portable. However, according to
> <http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-implementers.html>, only 6 Scheme
> implementations support SRFI-55, so I'm not sure that gives you much
> of an advantage.

Ok. Thanks. I don't think I care about SRFI-55 because presumably Scheme
dialects will gradually move to R7RS and we'll all write (import xyz)
instead.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that
means it's not fun to do.