I've made some partial progress.
I installed mingw64-gcc and make into windows with chocolatey in a
powershell instead of with MSYS2, which I think may be closer to what
you have setup George?

I was then able to compile and install chicken. I couldn't work out how to
set a PREFIX value that wouldn't stop it failing to compile, but not
setting one at all and installing at least defaulted to installing in
C:\chicken

Running from this version does run ok with csi, but running chicken-install
gives:

- - - 8< - - -
> chicken-install -update-db
generating database ...

Error: (open-output-file) cannot open file - No such file or directory:
"/usr/local/lib/chicken/11\\modules.db"
- - -

I think it's using the "system separator" from the chocolatey version of
mingw64, which is probably the windows system "\\", and mixing that with
the fact I couldn't set a PREFIX value, and failing in windows as it
doesn't understand forward slashes.
I tried running it under MSYS2/MingW64, but had exactly the same error,
which I suspect is the other way around, this time the MSYS2 version fails
to understand the "\\" at the end.
If I could set the system separator and compile under chocolatey, it might
well work under MSYS2, like a cross compile.

I did notice that the gcc under chocolatey is 10.2, whereas with MSYS2 it's
10.3.

I tried downgrading the version of gcc in MSYS2, but pacman doesn't support
downgrading easily, and although i was able to replace 10.3 with a previous
10.2 package and at least get gcc showing it was the correct version, it
wouldn't actually compile chicken, and simply returned an error compiling
the first file:

- - - 8< - - -
$ make PLATFORM=mingw-msys PREFIX=C:/msys64/usr/local/
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES
-c -Os  -DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN library.c -o library-static.o -I. -I./
make: *** [rules.make:121: library-static.o] Error 1
- - -

I suspect this is because I couldn't find 10.2 versions of the other
packages used to get a working environment to compile, and the versions are
clashing somehow.

George, what version of gcc did you use to compile chicken? I suspect this
may simply be a version issue, as my system is incredibly clean, so
shouldn't be having these issues.