Obesity is common in some small dogs, depends on their activity
level. Read the feeding guidlines on the bag of dog food that you
choose. There will be a suggested amount to feed your pup at each
age level. Fifi's recommended amount is 1/2 cup, so that's how much
I put out for her. During the summer months this is plenty of food
for her and sometimes she doesn't eat all of it. But now that it's
cold outside, her appetite has grown. We start with the 1/2 cup, but
she seems to want a little more. So right now she's eating almost
2/3 cup. I won't offer her anymore than the 2/3 cup to avoid weight
gain.  ~Lacey

 In Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com, Julie dietrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I will try to free will feed him but I am concerned with obsity. I
read that it's common in small dogs. Is that true? When I first get
him, I am will continue to feed him four times a day untill he is
three months then go to three times a meal untill I go to work and I
will leave food out for him when I am not at home. Since I will feed
him free will, should I let him eat free will when I am there also,
or can I pick up his food? I just want to make sure he gets what he
needs, you know? I know being little you need eat often. He will be
one week past two months old when I get him. He is so so little.

>   Julie
>
> marsha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>             By January, he shouldn't need to be fed 4 times a day.
That is just a transitionary thing. He can't be expected to go
straight from nursing anytime he wants, ect., to eating once a day.
I do free feed my chis. The food is available anytime they feel like
eating and they tend to munch all day long rather than setting down
and actually eating. I put fresh food down every night. If you do
not plan to free feed, I would gradually cut back on the number of
times he is fed. Go from small portions 4 times a day, to only three
times a day and then eventually to larger portions only twice a day,
or even once a day if you choose, so long as it is enough and the
chi doesn't develop the habit of gorging. Personally I prefer to
free feed simply because I prefer my chis eat when they are hungry
rather than having to eat on my schedule.
>   Marsha

stationed at AFnorth, brussem, Holland. We have been here over a
year now. Where can you buy Nutricial? The breeder told me I should
feed him four times a day. I will be starting work sometime in
January and I am trying to figure out how I am going to make sure he
gets his meals. Do any of you put food out for your chi and let him
eat when they are hungery. I am feeling so bad, I am not sure what I
am going to do. I know he needs his food and hopefully hubby will be
able to help out as well. Any suggestes, thanks alot for welcoming
me into the group and hope to learn alot more about Roscoe.

> Lacey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   Hi Julie. I'm Lacey, stay at home
mom to Austin (5) and Alex (3). My
> husband is also in the military (Airforce) and we are currently
> stationed at Ramstein Germany. What branch of the service is your
dh
> in? We have one fawn and white smooth coat chihuahua, Fifi. She is
> 20 months old. We also have an english bulldog puppy, Stella (4.5
> months old). I would make sure to introduce your new pup to the
> family slowly. He's gonna be scared and may be a little nippy
> towards your other pets, I know Fifi was...lol. Make sure you have
> crate/kennel to put him in while you are away from the house and
at
> night. Little Roscoe will feel safe in it. You may also want to
get
> a hot water bottle (or empty 2 liter soda bottle) filled with warm
> water to put in the kennel with him. This will make him feel like
> he's laying next to his mom and litter mates (Helps with whining
at
> night). Some human food is ok for dogs to eat. Just make sure if
you
> do decide to feed a little human food that you do it in
moderation.
> You don't want him to get stuck on people food and refuse to eat
dog
> food or to get an upset tummy. Fifi (and Stella) loves scrambled
> eggs! She also likes bananas, apples, green beans, and cheese. Of
> course she mainly eats dry kibble, these are just occasional
snacks.
> You may also want to pick up a tube of nutrical (high calorie
> supplement) to have on hand in case Roscoe becomes hypoglycemic.
> Make sure that he eats many times a day to avoid this. I did look
at
> his pictures. He is darling! Well, now that I've written a
> book...lol, Welcome to the group! :)  Lacey
> Fifi's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/?170558
>

> In Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com, "baby_roscoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello my name is Julie and I am currently living the netherlands
> with
> > my family, husband is in the mililtary. I will be picking my new
> baby
> > chi on Friday (Dec.16th) and I am so excited and scared all at
the
> same
> > time. I have been reading up on this breed. I just went out
today
> and
> > bought everythin he may need to welcome him to his new home and
> family.
> > By the way is name is Roscoe and I posted a few pics under
files,
> > showing of roscoe. Hope to get alot more advice about him and to
> meet
> > new friends and share my experinces I will have with Roscoe. How
> do you
> > intoduce them to a new enviorment and to new pets, one dog and
one
> cat.
> > thanks so much!!

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Service.

> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
> " Lets talk about our wonderful little friends!
> Join today! "

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/MJOolB/TM