You're going to have to think this one through, Stephanie.  Your post was very good on giving a lot of information. (I read Sandi's reply to this, too)  When Sandi said  a new puppy should have the puppy shots, those would be the shots against Parvo.  All puppies should be getting Parvo shots.  Then you could ask your vet when the shots would give immunity and if those shots are 100% effective, etc.

I don't think it sounded like your pup had parvo either.  I thought the bloody diarrhea was always present and not an occasional symptom.  Sandi is so right when she said this diarrhea is foul smelling (sorry all).  I've been around a pup  with it and when a pup comes into the vets' with it, and gets into one of those small exam rooms, the vet can often tell right off from the smell that it's a Parvo pup.

Here is a good link on Parvo.  The last paragraph on this site 'what if I get Parvo in my home"
has some good information for you.

katie