If I had a puppy match coming up and had to train a really young bully to walk on a leash (without yanking as that is not safe for a bully either)....I tried to find their favorite, strong smelling treat.

I'd lie down on the floor with leash in my hand, dog in front of me, facing me......slightly tug at leash, give a command - such as walk, come etc.... with treat in front of them so they'd come closer to it and get the treat.  Even if they came forward a couple inches while I ever so slightly tugged leash - they'd get the tiny treat.  Seeing your face at their level helps too with the treat.  Kisses and treat - good reason to come when leash is tugged.  Do it again and again and again.....  Slowly (when they are ready).....make them come a few inches further and also start getting up off the ground.  I could have a yougin' leash trained in a couple days.  Too many times I waited until the last minute before a Match and had to train them quickly.

I've never trained with a harness.  Though I've used them after they were leash trained.

If I had more time.....I'd put the collar and leash on the pup and let them walk around the house like that (only when I was around to supervise)......for a few days before I begin leash training.  They get used the the feel....and used to a slight tug at times when they step on the leash.

Sorry I didnt have any technical tips.....just sharing what works for me. :-p

Sandi Spears
Please help Rolie Polie Olie
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action="">

Mastiff Hope Rescue