Title: Message
i think you are right and i see it in one step as a skip about once a week.  He is fine and he is not in pain .  Jumps up on things and is a fine healthy boy.  I'm not going to go to an orthopedic vet because I read Veterinary Practice Mag and that publications teaches teh vets to milk their clients and increase their practice revenues.  My taking him in when there is really no problem would have a vet going ca chink ca chink ca chink ... at least the ones here.  Hey would you think almost 500 for a dental on a chi???????

Nonnie & the Punk & darla
-----Original Message-----
From: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of EMI-MAIL
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 4:15 PM
To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] New Member/Mary/ Luxating patella

Nonnie,

It may and it may not get worse it depends on the deformity.  When our older dog was young and our ex-vet wanted to do the surgery that we didn't have done she would also just limp every once in a while.  She is fine although due to her age I am sure she has some arthritis but she is not in any pain nor has she limped in quite a while.  This is just my opinion but if it were me I wouldn't worry about his skip if it is every once in a while but if you want to get a medical opinion I would definately go to a orthopedic vet and not a regular vet.  If you have a vet school around you that would possibly be a good place to check out for an orthopedic vet too.  Four years old is very young.  I have heard from people that have had the luxating patella surgery on their dogs and 18 months later the dog has arthritis or have had to have the surgery again because the knee starts slipping again.  If Punk isn't lame or in pain I wouldn't worry.  You could give him one fourth (1/4) tablet of  glucomine 500 mg/chondroitin 400mg/MSM 166 mg (Walgreens brand is what I use)  once or twice a day because that would help build the cushioning between the bones of the knees.  Like I said though if its only one in a while I would just watch and see.

Emi