Congratulations on your new family member! That is horrible that she
was considering putting him to sleep! I'm sure he would do fine with
her kids if the children were taught the proper way to play/handle the
pup. Now he may always be afraid of kids unless you socialize him with
children. And it's always a good thing to socialize chihuahuas with
kids, other dogs, and strangers! Enjoy your new fur baby!  ~Lacey