I just got a puppy chi last saturday.

Every time he wakes up from a nap I immediately take him to the garage
area (my chosen area) to go on his scent pad.  After his meals and
play time I take him to the garage area also.
When I did that I didnt have problems with accidents in the house. If
he goes outside the pad in the garage area I just say "No" and put him
on the pad right way. If he does his stuff on the pad I give him a
treat and praise. (I have treat already on a shelf in the garage so I
can make sure I'll not forget)

During the night he has been in his crate by my side of the bed (it's
a medium size). He has his bed and scented pad right close to it. When
he wakes up during the night he will pee on the scented pad and go
back to his bed.

One thing I can tell ... it takes time. I spent my weekend
baby-sitting  the new chi and I do not let him out of my site so I can
correct his behavior as it happens (that's what I was told to do over
and over)

I don't know how long it will take to have my puppy chi ready to have
access to all areas in my house without supervision but I'm up to the
challenge.

What about some disposable diapers? you could give it a try and keep
taking her outside to do the other bussines after her meals.

I hope this helps a little bit ... I would not let Gracie outside the
house by herself. I think she would be miserable and it can be
dangerous for her as well.

Luciana