The groomer was probably nervous around him. Chihuahuas have a bad
reputation b/c of the ones that are snippy... all due to owners that
don't socialize their dogs. ~Lacey

 In Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Nichole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, see that's the thing. The woman works with a ton of dogs to
groom them, I'm sure.. but once she found out that Chaz didn't have
his rabies shot she pretty much when to all extent to avoid being in
the space around him. She went to get the price list from under the
counter and I had him like, sitting on the counter with him still in
my arms and she kind of did this limbo duck to avoid being near him,
and Chaz is a small dog, no more than 10 lbs at the most.. she acted
like he had cooties, or like he was a vicious dog - That bothered me
more than her feeding me crap.

> bumdick ©2005
>

> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:56:37 -
0800Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Went To Petsmart..

> I have three Chi's - all wear collars.   I have one who has some
breathing trouble once in a while but she is seldom on a leash
because she never leaves my side. If the Grooomer (if you can call
her that) has that much problem with a Chi get another groomer! My
three go to Petsmart in Akron, Oh and the girls there don't even want
the collars I don't think my three ever even get caged.  Oh the
longhair needs blown dry and I think the two shorthairs are too.
They all get their nails done because I am to uncoordinated to do it
by myself.  I have never had a problem there.  Maybe you should talk
to the manager at the store.  It sounds like she was giving you a
hard time.  They do require a copy of the shot record on the pup.
Not Rabies per se.  As a matter of fact depending upon the age of the
dog, rabies in my state isn't required until 3mos of age and with a
little chi they will let you wait til they are a bit bigger.marsha
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is often unsafe to use muzzles on ANY short nosed breed. So, the
safety of it with YOUR chi would depend a lot of the size of the
snout. It isn't a breed thing, per se, as a nose thing. For instance,
it really isn't much different with a deer faced chi than with any
other long nosed dog. But today's chis are getting smaller and
smaller noses, and that can cause a muzzle to interfere with
breathing, not to mention it is hard to put a muzzle on something
that practically aint there! lol.

> As for the comment that chis are nervous, ect....sounds like the
lady is just ignorant of the chi breed. Some chis are nervous and
some are very outgoing, but most people with no chi experience do
tend to picture a nervous shaking little rat, lol

> I would try a harness instead of a leash. Much safer! I would also
learn to do the nails yourself. Why pay good money for something that
is so simple for you to do yourself? You could place all the saved
money in an "emergency vet care fund" :-)

> Marsha

done.He's a boston terrier/chihuahua mix. The lady in the
groomingdepartment said she can't groom him unless he's had his
rabies shot. IKNOW rabies shots are mandatory, but right now I'm
waiting to get ituntil I get him fixed so everything can be done at
once (beforesomeone rips my head off) - she told me that he'd have to
have hisrabies shot being a chihuahua, because she cannot put a
muzzle on him.I asked her why and she told me that chihuahuas are
prone to squeezingor a flat trachea and it's because putting him in a
muzzle may put himunder stress since Chihuahua's are very nervous
animals. So, I waswondering has anyone heard anything about this?
I've never readanything about it. Also are there some alternatives
that I can gothrough at home to getting his nails down? I take him
for walks quitea bit around the blacktop basketball court around my
neighborhood, andhis nails are still so long.Also, I looked into
leash training him now that I know about thetrachea problem - I'm
just wondering what methods people suggest. Ionly use a leash
currently when he needs to go pee (even though wehave a fenced in
backyard, we have dogs that stay outside all day andbark when he's
out so of course he tries to run towards it) and when Itake him into
pet stores. The method I read about is just stopping inplace when he
tries to tug you, so he can't go anywhere. I'm justwondering if
there's any other alternative that may work better.-Amanda