From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:41 PM
Subject: [Chihuahuas] Yet another question...Milk and Dairy Products

Hello Gang....Snowing here in Akron, Ohio...I guess the 50 degree temps we had
in December are long gone now.  (sigh)

Question,

Brutus loves...I mean LOVES cheese.  I have read that is okay to give a Chi a
small amount of fat free cheese as a treat.  Now how bout feeding the dog fat
free milk.  I read on healthypet.com a "on the fence" article about feeding a
dog milk or dairy products.  Any input?

Healthpet.com says,

" Is it okay to give my dog milk?

      Answer This is a very good question! Few dog owners know that most dogs
tend to be lactose intolerant. This means that they lack the enzyme beta
lactamase, which allows the digestive system to break down the kind of sugar
contained in milk.
      Dogs that lack this enzyme end up with a lot of undigested sugar in their
intestinal tract, which creates a wonderful breeding environment for bacteria.
When a lot of bacteria grows in the intestinal tract it can irritate the
stomach and intestine and cause vomiting and diarrhea. These are the same
problems that occur in lactose-intolerant people.
      That being said, while many dogs are lactose intolerant, some are not.
Some dogs love the taste of milk and other dairy products and won't have any
stomach or intestinal problems when they get some as a treat.
      The bottom line is, it may be okay to give your dog a small amount of
milk if it doesn't cause her any vomiting, diarrhea, or other discomfort. Check
with your veterinarian first to be sure it won't cause your pooch any health
problems or interfere with his diet.

      Return to Dog FAQs

Home | Find a Hospital | About AAHA | Pet Care Library | Pet Photo Page | Store
Copyright © 2006, American Animal Hospital Association

Steve, Akron Ohio
"

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security
AOL Mail and more.