  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:16 PM
  Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] CKC versus AKC registration - previously "Question"

  In a message dated 2/25/2007 9:05:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL
PROTECTED] writes:
    That is partially true. A merle can be safely bred, but it needs to be done
only by someone who knows what they are doing and knows there lines well. While
it is true that a merle to non-merle should be safe, there is always the
possibility that the one you thought was a non merle has a hidden merle gene. I
just don't want someone thinking they can go get a merle and a non merle and
breed with no problem...it is something best left to someone who knows what
they are doing
    Marsha

  You should always know your lines.  it's not rocket science.  Hidden merles
are merles whose coat color is very light so the lighter pigmentation of the
merle coat doesn't show through as well.  This is why you shouldn't breed light
color breeds nor those chis with light colored lines to merles.  If you do,
always assume that any resulting pup with a light color is a merle for breeding
purposes.  It is better to make that assumption than to make the mistake of
breeding a hidden merle to a merle.  JMHO.

  BTW, it is not ALWAYS a possibility to breed with a hidden merle.  Hidden
merles are only light in color.  Keep to the darks, you should be okay.

AOL at AOL.com.