--- In Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com, "marsha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First, let me say that this really has nothing to do with
you...this is pretty typical Chihuahua behavior UNLESS they are
broke from it. A chi that is allowed to be a natural chi, will
likely do this stuff. The thing is, most people nip it in the bud
before it is ingrained :-)

> The thing to do is get stern. This is not the time to coddle and
baby her, but the time to discipline and exert the alpha status of
humans. At home, when she acts this way, a stern "NO" and a removal
from the room (isolation) is good. Five minutes is usually
good....much longer than that and they forget why they are isolated
once that "NO" is issued, do not give her attention for a period of
time.. Don't continue to talk to her about her behavior or
repeatedly tell her no, ect. Dogs do not understand the meaning of
what we are saying and as far as she knows, she now has your
undivided attention as a result of the behavior...that is a good
thing. So a stern no, an isolation and a period of no attention will
usually start sending the message.

> In public, a stern no and if you are able, leave the place. But
don't let her dictate if you are able. IF you have to get something,
don't leave without it....but don't lily lag either.

> If she does bite, she must be reprimanded. a "NO" then Put her on
her back and hold her down gently but firmly till she stops fighting
against you, then move on to the isolation. Don't continue to talk
while holding her. You only words should be "NO" or some other word
you have chosen....but not sentences. Make each incident consume as
little time as possible. The point is that you are not allowing her
to manipulate your attention.

> Marsha
>
> Do not tell God how big your storm is. Tell the storm how big your
God is.

I like this advice a lot!