(You might want to have a handkerchief handy)
==================================
 
'We have H. R. On this flight', the flight attendant said.  (H. R. Stands
for human remains.) 

'Are they military', I asked. 
'Yes', she said. 

'Is there an escort', I asked. 

'Yes, I already assigned him a seat'. 

'Would you please tell him to come to the flight deck, you can board him
early', I said. 
A short while later, a young army sergeant entered the flight deck.  He was
the image of the perfectly dressed soldier.  He introduced himself and I
asked him about his soldier.  The escorts of these fallen soldiers talk
about them as if they are still alive and with us.  'My soldier is on his
way back to Virginia ', he said. 
 
He proceeded to answer my questions, but offered no words on his own.  I
asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he said 'no.'  I told
him that he has the toughest job in the military and that I appreciated the
work that he does for the families of our fallen soldiers.  The first
officer and I got up out of our seats to shake his hand.  He left the flight
deck to find his seat. 
We completed our preflight checks, pushed back and performed an uneventful
departure.  About 30 minutes into our flight I received a call from the lead
flight attendant in the cabin.  'I just found out the family of the soldier
we are carrying, is onboard', he said.  He then proceeded to tell me that
the father, mother, wife and 2-year-old daughter were escorting their son,
husband, and father home.  The family was upset because they were unable to
see the container that the soldier was in before we left. 
 
We were on our way to a major hub at which the family was going to wait 4
hours for the connecting flight home to Virginia.  The father of the soldier
told the flight attendant that knowing his son was below him in the cargo
compartment and being unable to see him was too much for him and the family
to bear.  He had asked the flight attendant if there was anything that could
be done to allow them to see him upon our arrival.  The family wanted to be
outside by the cargo door to watch the soldier being taken off the airplane.
 I could hear the desperation in the flight attendants voice when he asked
me if there was anything I could do. 'I'm on it', I said.  I told him that I
would get back to him. 

Airborne communication with my company normally occurs in the form of e-mail
like messages.  I decided to bypass this system and contact my flight
dispatcher directly on a secondary radio.  There is a radio op erator in the
operations control center who connects you to the telephone of the
dispatcher.  I was in direct contact with the dispatcher.  I explained the
situation I had onboard with the family and what it was the family wanted. 
He said he understood and that he would get back to me. 

Two hours went by and I had not heard from the dispatcher.  We were going to
get busy soon and I needed to know what to tell the family.  I sent a text
message asking for an update.  I saved the return message from the
dispatcher and this following is the text. 
'Captain, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.  There is policy on
this now and I had to check on a few things. Upon your arrival a dedicated
escort team will meet the aircraft.  The team will escort the family to the
ramp and plane side.  A van will be used to load the remains with a
secondary van for the family.  The family will be taken to their departure
area and escorted into the terminal where the remains can be seen on the
ramp.  It is a private area for the family only.  When the connecting
aircraft arrives, the family will be escorted onto the ramp and plane side
to watch the remains being loaded for the final leg home.  Captain, most of
us here in flight control are veterans.  Please pass our condolences on to
the family, thanks.'  I sent a message back telling flight control thanks
for a good job. 
I printed out the message and gave it to the lead flight attendant to pass
on to the father.  The lead flight attendant was very thankful and told me, 
You have no idea how much this will mean to them.'  Things started getting
busy for the descent, approach and landing. 
After landing, we cleared the runway and taxied to the ramp area.  The ramp
is huge with 15 gates on either side of the alleyway.  It is always a busy
area with aircraft maneuvering every which way to enter and exit.  When we
entered the ramp and checked in with the ramp controller, we were told that
all traffic was being held for us.  'There is a team in place to meet the
aircraft', we were told.  It looked like it was all coming together, then I
realized that once we turned the seat belt sign off, everyone would stand up
at once and delay the family from getting off the airplane. 
As we approached our gate, I asked the copilot to tell the ramp controller
we were going to stop short of the gate to make an announcement to the
passengers.  He did that and the ramp controller said, 'Take your time.'  I
stopped the aircraft and set the parking brake.  I pushed the public address
button and said, 'Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking.  I
have stopped short of our gate to make a special announcement. 
We have a passenger on board who deserves our honor and respect.  His name
is private XXXXXX, a soldier who recently lost his life.  Private XXXXXX is
under your feet in the cargo hold.  Escorting him today is army sergeant
XXXXXXX.  Also onboard are his father, mother, wife, and daughter.  Your
entire flight crew is asking for all passengers to remain in their seats to
allow the family to exit the aircraft first.  Thank you.' 
We continued the turn to the gate, came to a stop and started our shutdown
procedures.  A couple of minutes later I opened the cockpit door.  I found
the two forward flight attendants crying, something you just do not see.  I
was told that after we came to a stop, every passenger on the aircraft
stayed in their seats, waiting for the family to exit the aircraft. When the
family got up and gathered their things, a passenger slowly started to clap
their hands.  Moments later more passengers joined in and soon the entire
aircraft was clapping.  Words of 'God Bless You, I'm sorry, Thank you, Be
proud, and other kind words were uttered to the family as they made their
way down the aisle and out of the airplane.  They were escorted down to the
ramp to finally be with the loved one lost. 
I never did see the family.  Another soldier died, another family grieved
and we did what we could.  That is the way it works sometimes.  I get a call
from the cabin; we work as a team to do what we can.  That day everybody
from the flight crew, to the operations center, to the 184 passengers
onboard, we did what we could.  Many of the passengers disembarking thanked
me for the announcement I made.  They were just words, I could say them over
and over again, but nothing I say will bring that soldier back. 
I respectfully ask that all of you reflect on this day and the sacrifices
that millions of men and women have made to ensure our freedom, safety, and
the right to live a good life. 
 

Reply via email to