I am going to disagree about the muzzle. I feel my chi does know that if he 
starts acting up, he will get the muzzle. He just forgets sometimes. I reach 
for 
the muzzle and he starts acting normal again. When I said use the muzzle around 
other animals, this was not to be around feeding time but in general if he/she 
tends to be aggressive toward others. I feel it just puts my chi in a state of 
mind of needing to be submissive at that time. 95% + of the time I do not have 
issues any more. As for barkbusters, I just heard about them and talked with 
them on the phone. You are right, they do cost lots of money. It just seems for 
William a better fit is for a trainer to visit his home to see the dog interact 
with the other dog that visits and to teach how/when to user to door. I know 
barkbusters visit. A dog training company is only as good as the trainer, some 
may be great and some may really _______. The one I used really knows GSD 
better 
than any other dogs but they were also very good with small dogs. When I find 
time to go to group, my chi gets along with the others (with out the muzzle), 
he 
just does not like strangers reaching fast toward him. 





________________________________
From: dasha <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, July 20, 2010 5:45:25 AM
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] I am having trouble with my chihuahua puppy

  
And like  I said once before when you posted this same advice for another 
poster 
when you  have to continue to muzzle a dog they are not learning anything. It 
is 
a temp  fix not a solution. 

Bark  Busters are very expensive and way overrated. Take it from someone that 
used  them before I knew any better. 

 
 The dog is resource/food guarding and a muzzle won't help. I  agree about the 
crate and the tethering for the housebreaking. Just don't use  the crate as 
punishment. It should be a place the dog wants to go.  

 
 
 


________________________________
 From: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:Chihuahuas@ yahoogroups. com] On 
Behalf Of Mark  Strassler
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:49 AM
To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I am having  trouble with my chihuahua puppy


Hello:

I would start by working with your parents in finding a good  dog trainer in 
your area. Petsmart's and Petco will offer very basic classes.  You should ask 
your vet of a name of a good trainer. You and your parents are  going to spend 
$500.00 + for a good trainer. See if there is a "barkbuster"  trainer in your 
area, they do "in-house" training, they come to your home. 


Crate training is best, when you are away, place the pup in the crate.  When 
you 
are around the pup, watch it at all times. You might want to tether her  to you 
so you can be togethter, this is easier to watch there this way.   When she 
needs to go, pick her up and take her outside. Chi's can be very hard  to train.

As for the food aggression you will just need to tell her in a  stern voice -- 
no when she snaps at someone when around her food. When she is  around other 
animals, you might what to muzzle her until she learns better  manners. This 
helps with one my my Chi. He does forget now and then, but when I  take out the 
muzzle, he know he has done bad and "remembers" how to act. 


One you have been through a good training program, it really sinks in  what to 
do with other pets you will get in your life time. Training is not only  for 
the 
pup, it also is for you.




________________________________
 From: william  <willybilly30@ yahoo.com>
To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com
Sent: Sun, July 18, 2010 3:49:42  PM
Subject: [Chihuahuas] I am  having trouble with my chihuahua puppy

  
I got an adorable baby Chihuahua white, long hair, brown nose and So I wont  
have to spell that word again i'm calling him his name Gizmo.

He for some  reason is mean to other animals he snaps and growls at dogs and 
cats. Now, if he  don't like the neibors dogs fine..so be it but he snapped at 
my freinds pug and  That got me upset. Now, she was sticking her nose in her 
food bowl he was eating  out of so, I guess that's understandable I wouldn't 
want someone trying to eat  what i'm eating.

But, Now he does it if i'm sitting beside her or she  walks by. He don't mind 
going out to poop with her but that seems to be it.  Can't my freind's pug 
named 
(pig) she's a female don't know if that's a problem.  and Gizmo be freinds?

Also, I would like some potty training advise it  seems I can get Gizmo too 
poop 
beside the poop pad but not on it. I been putting  his terds on the pad and 
putting it over the pee but, My little pup just don't  get it.

I just now got some treats to reward him for pooping in the yard  so, I hope 
that helps. I want him to bark at the door to go poop. Also, He will  have to 
use pads while i'm at work so, I guess he needs to learn to do  both.

So, any advice or suggestions? 



 


      

Reply via email to