woohoo you will have some fun now !! darcy p.s. where do you live im comin over !
--- On Thu, 7/29/10, Deanna Corey <[email protected]> wrote: From: Deanna Corey <[email protected]> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] deanna,I was wondering about Raw feeding. To: [email protected] Date: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 5:49 PM Ok Darcy...just ordered the grinder!!!! 3-5 days it will be here!!! Hugs In Him, Deanna And the Corey Crew: Wife to my best friend: Mark-ie Pooh...married 29 years 6/27/10 Mom to 4 Children: Andrea 26, Jimmy 22, Baxter 19 and Molly 11 Grandma to 4: Lori, Evelyn Rose, Jack and Cameron Mom to Fur babies: Nugget (MiniPoodle) www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1085245, Shuai-Li (Shih Tzu)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1129251, Bella-Rose (Pomeranian) http://www. dogster.com/ dogs/1136706 Mouse (Chihuahua)www. dogster.com/ dogs/1005934, Myrtle May (Chihuahua) and Caleb (Rott/chow mix)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 988612 Mom to feathered kids: Stella (Blue and Gold Macaw) and Stanley (Double Yellow Headed Amazon) and the curtain climber: Miles www.catster. com/cats/ 895000 From: Darcy Jacobs <flyway7...@yahoo. com> To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Sent: Thu, July 29, 2010 2:39:41 PM Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] deanna,I was wondering about Raw feeding. deanna, i use a morter and bowl i forget what they are called ... a pill crusher a drugest would use? to crush dry egg shells..into a powder...no sharp edges. . i just dont know how much calcium is in the shells and how much babies need... for adults its easy i make a beefy mix of raw fatty beef, 12 eggs and 12 crushed shells , what ever meats i want that week... make (mush) into ice trays for tinys or cup cakes for danes..freeze. .put in ziploc baggies next day for eacy feeding... one a day, its also where i put liver and heart and organ meats so all i ever have to feed is quarters and a beef cake . phosphorus is in meat ....calcium in bone . thats why ground whole quarters, bone and meat is is a perfect food... also why eggs and shell are a perfect food... egg has phosphorus shell has calcium... so if your baby eats meat AND bone AND liver thats perfect. 80%meat 10%bone 10%organ. a quarter is about the perfect balance of meat and bone. so just add liver... remembering variety is good... so beef and deer and pork and fish when ever you can...also go by the poo! lol too soft add more bone too hard add more organ. darcy --- On Thu, 7/29/10, Deanna Corey <shepflockmom@ yahoo.com> wrote: From: Deanna Corey <shepflockmom@ yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Date: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 5:16 PM I pulverize egg shells in my little grinder for calcium...and she gets a little bone when I can slice parts thin enough. I have the calcium covered...it' s the phospherous I am more concerned with at present. I let her chew on the leg bones for fun but she can't break them yet...she may get a little from that but not much. I do buy ground rabbit that comes with double ground bone in it too...but I really want my own grinder. My food processor just won't do much at all but I do that too with some of the smaller back/breast bones. At this point she gets about 10% bone and maybe 5% organ meats... Hugs In Him, Deanna And the Corey Crew: Wife to my best friend: Mark-ie Pooh...married 29 years 6/27/10 Mom to 4 Children: Andrea 26, Jimmy 22, Baxter 19 and Molly 11 Grandma to 4: Lori, Evelyn Rose, Jack and Cameron Mom to Fur babies: Nugget (MiniPoodle) www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1085245, Shuai-Li (Shih Tzu)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1129251, Bella-Rose (Pomeranian) http://www. dogster.com/ dogs/1136706 Mouse (Chihuahua)www. dogster.com/ dogs/1005934, Myrtle May (Chihuahua) and Caleb (Rott/chow mix)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 988612 Mom to feathered kids: Stella (Blue and Gold Macaw) and Stanley (Double Yellow Headed Amazon) and the curtain climber: Miles www.catster. com/cats/ 895000 From: Darcy Jacobs <flyway7...@yahoo. com> To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Sent: Thu, July 29, 2010 2:04:37 PM Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. how are you feeding for calcium? for the 13week old? how are you feeding bone? can they eat bone by 13 weeks? im grinding whole quarters and i froze in ice trays ...she is eating 3cubes sized ground chucks in 24 hours... i dont know how long at night time they can go with out food at 9 weeks old... darcy --- On Thu, 7/29/10, Deanna Corey <shepflockmom@ yahoo.com> wrote: From: Deanna Corey <shepflockmom@ yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Date: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 4:24 PM Hi Darcy... 3lbs x16= 48 48x3%=1.44 oz. But...puppies usually don't need to be weighed out in oz except for your ball park estimations for your use. I feed my 13 week, old 27 oz tiny Chi 3 times a day...a little over an oz with each feeding. She stops when she's full each feeding...sometimes I have a few pieces left over...sometimes I don't. I just dice up chicken breasts w/ a tiny bit of the skin. If you cut them up while still a little frozen it is super easy to get tiny pieces for tiny little mouths to eat. The 3% rule is usually more for weight control in all ready grown or mostly grown dogs. With a growing pup...especially the tinies... i let them eat basically what they want three feedings a day. Hope that helps Hugs In Him, Deanna And the Corey Crew: Wife to my best friend: Mark-ie Pooh...married 29 years 6/27/10 Mom to 4 Children: Andrea 26, Jimmy 22, Baxter 19 and Molly 11 Grandma to 4: Lori, Evelyn Rose, Jack and Cameron Mom to Fur babies: Nugget (MiniPoodle) www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1085245, Shuai-Li (Shih Tzu)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1129251, Bella-Rose (Pomeranian) http://www. dogster.com/ dogs/1136706 Mouse (Chihuahua)www. dogster.com/ dogs/1005934, Myrtle May (Chihuahua) and Caleb (Rott/chow mix)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 988612 Mom to feathered kids: Stella (Blue and Gold Macaw) and Stanley (Double Yellow Headed Amazon) and the curtain climber: Miles www.catster. com/cats/ 895000 From: Darcy Jacobs <flyway7...@yahoo. com> To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Sent: Thu, July 29, 2010 12:54:23 PM Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. i know this rule thank you deanna i just cant do it for a 3 pounder im used to doing it for danes lol... so help me . you sound very good with math!..how much would a 3 lb chi adult eat per day? thats about how big mine should become. darcy... =)~... thank you!!! --- On Thu, 7/29/10, Deanna Corey <shepflockmom@ yahoo.com> wrote: From: Deanna Corey <shepflockmom@ yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Date: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 2:03 PM Hi Darcy...the rule of thumb is feeding 3% of desired adult weight...so a 10lb dog would get 4.8 oz each day. I would divide that into 2 feedings of 2.4 each feeding. Here is the formula: Take the weight you want your dog to be whether he is overweight or skinny...figure the weight he SHOULD be...Let's say 10 lbs. Multiply whatever that weight by 16 because there are 16 oz to a lb and you want your answer in ounces. In this case:10 x16= 160...so 10lbs =160 oz...follow? Then take that number...in this case 160 and multiply it by 3%...use a calculator if your not a math whiz LOL...just punch in 160, then the X sign, then press the 3 and then the % sign after the 3 and your answer comes to 4.8 ounces Thats about as clear as mudd right??? It is the ONLY tricky part to feeding raw and once you do it it's done LOL!!! Hugs In Him, Deanna And the Corey Crew: Wife to my best friend: Mark-ie Pooh...married 29 years 6/27/10 Mom to 4 Children: Andrea 26, Jimmy 22, Baxter 19 and Molly 11 Grandma to 4: Lori, Evelyn Rose, Jack and Cameron Mom to Fur babies: Nugget (MiniPoodle) www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1085245, Shuai-Li (Shih Tzu)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1129251, Bella-Rose (Pomeranian) http://www. dogster.com/ dogs/1136706 Mouse (Chihuahua)www. dogster.com/ dogs/1005934, Myrtle May (Chihuahua) and Caleb (Rott/chow mix)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 988612 Mom to feathered kids: Stella (Blue and Gold Macaw) and Stanley (Double Yellow Headed Amazon) and the curtain climber: Miles www.catster. com/cats/ 895000 From: Darcy Jacobs <flyway7...@yahoo. com> To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Sent: Thu, July 29, 2010 7:10:48 AM Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. me too sheila!! and easier once you get the hang of it...you add nothing but variety of meats added slowly... feeding 80%meats, 10%bone &10%organ. and for a total of the adult weight of the animal you are feeding ... means for a chi about 3 ice cubes size of ground meat in 24 hours... im just starting with chi's, ill get better info as i go.. danes eat one pound 3 times a day... ish. which works out to be one chicken leg quarter per meal per day ... adding a beefy lunch a couple times a week and a fish lunch a month...ish. .. its very bendy... think in the wild they eat what they find making it balance over a month not daily. ish. same as people .... we dont eat balanced daily but rather crave what we need and balance over time. darcy, easy peasy... --- On Thu, 7/29/10, dasha <dash...@hughes. net> wrote: From: dasha <dash...@hughes. net> Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Date: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 10:00 AM Raw diet done right needs nothing added to it. There is so much mis information out there about this please don't add to it. I have fed both ways and IMO raw is cheaper Sheila From: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:Chihuahuas@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Joyce mccarthy Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:36 AM To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I was wondering about Raw feeding. It's quite complicated actually as there are certain things you have to add to the RAW diet to keep them balanced..My suggestion if you want to feed a food like that would be go with an all natural or holistic dry food..I have used taste of the wild and several of the Wellness brands it's pricey but in the long run..So is feeding the RAW diet...Now I do cook for mine more so in winter months or if one isn't putting the weight the on..I like to keep the satin (fat) balls on hand for those as well..I agree do lot's of research on the B.A.R.F diet as it is called... On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM, lovinrats <lovinr...@yahoo. com> wrote: I was wondering if someone could tell me what raw feeding is? I have never heard of it until I joined this group. If it's better for the dogs...then I am all for it. I have a 9 week old chi. I have finally got her off of wet food. My vet recommended Purina one puppy chow for dry. That's what I have been feeding her. I have started to do research on dog food. None of it sounds to healthy. So, I thought I'd ask about raw feeding. Thank you so much for any information. Crystal -- Joyce

