I have been so proud of Desi lately.  He was the puppy that I thought had
nothing between his ears.  I used to tell him what not to do and he just sat
there moving his little head back and forth as he listened to me.  I think over
time he got a little better, but now I really see how much he really
understands of what I say.  I give treats to Dolly & Desi, and I can say
‘Dolly’s’ and he will let the treat drop and Dolly eat it, until I say ‘Desi’s’
and then I drop his treat and he eats his.  I have told him not to bark in the
yard when the neighbor’s dogs are barking, and he will usually come in.  I then
noticed that the neighbor dogs were barking and Desi would go to the other end
of the wall and just stay there being quiet.  I told Desi not to scare the
birds on the wall and the trellis, and he just sits and watches the birds from
the planter.  I took him to the vet on Thursday because he has  a rash on his
behind, and he is supposed to wear the cone so that he doesn’t lick it.  I kept
it on at first, and then I would take it off when I was holding him.  Then
today I even let him running around without the collar.  When I saw him in the
chair licking, I would pick up his collar and tell him to stop licking.  Then I
was in the kitchen and looked towards the recliner and he was ready to lick…I
only said one word, ‘Desi!’ and he turned his head back to the front faster
than anything I have seen before.  He has learned in about a day that if he
licks, he gets the cone collar.  More and more things he knows when I say it.
I never trained my dogs from a book or a trainer, but I spoke to them, and
still do.  I talk to them like they are little people.  They know what I say;
they know what it means; but they have never been choke collar trained, I only
used love and a speaking voice.  My neighbors paid a trainer $1,200 to train
their two dogs.  They were trained with choke collars about a year and a half
ago.  When I go over and ring their bell, they are held with the owner holding
their choke collars.  They didn’t learn anything necessary…the owners also take
them out at certain times to go potty.  They have to stand and talk to them
telling them to go for almost 15 minutes every day.  They also bark A LOT when
they are trying to go potty on command (I don’t think that many humans can do
that.) When I hear mine barking, I open the door, and usually Desi will run in
the door and Dolly will run back to her mat, but I don’t even have to say a
word.  I am not a professional.  I have never had a dog that was mine.  But, I
just talk to them nicely and they actually pick it up.  I just have to say ‘I
have to go out’ and both go running to their areas…they get a little cookie
that I usually hide in their puzzle toys.  They don’t bark or make a mess when
I go out.  When I come home they are patient and wait for me to put everything
away before they want to play – either with me or by going outside.

I have never had a big dog, and what does a big dog do all day…they are
probably outside all of the time, they break the boredom by burying bones and
scratching up the grass.  Dolly & Desi have each other to play with, sleep
with, and sometimes even have a little spat with.  I love that, I love that I
come home and there is someone that is waiting for me; someone that loves me no
matter what happens.  When I am sick, they are right by me, they want to
protect me even though they are small.  If I have to go somewhere that I don’t
have to get out of the car, they are all too happy to get their leashes on and
get in the booster seat.  If I go somewhere such as the park for a picnic or an
outdoor event, they are ever so happy to go and get all the attention of other
people, to get a ride in their stroller, to walk in the grass.  I would never
trade my two for anything.  They are my sunshine when I am feeling down; they
are the strength that I need when my spine lets me know that it is not going to
be an easy day; they are the unconditional love that I have when I am not so
sure if I am loved.  I am their Mom, and if I didn’t do things the traditional
way, I don’t really think that it matters.  I have been told by friends and
neighbors how calm and sweet Dolly & Desi are…and then they say that they can
see that they have been raised in a home full of love.  I love them…I really
love them.  And, although I do love them every day, I think that the love which
is returned is surely much more.