Thank you so much, Gloria, for your kind thoughts.  Being in this group helps a
lot.

Geudu

--- On Sun, 10/9/11, twope...@aol.com <twope...@aol.com> wrote:

From: twope...@aol.com <twope...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] new member
To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, October 9, 2011, 8:28 AM

Sorry your Chi has had so many problems.  I have no advise to offer.  All I can
say is how lucky he is to have found you and your daughter to love him and try
to help him.

Gloria

In a message dated 10/8/2011 10:38:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
avmve...@yahoo.com writes:

Hi everyone,

I've been a member for awhile but have not posted much, just following the
posts.  I wrote in for advice over a year ago about my chihuahua who is
somewhat disabled and received so many helpful replies from so many of you but
you may think this is weird but I was so overwhelmed by all the responses that
I just sort of went into hiding, lol.  It was too stressful for me and still
is.  I changed to daily digest but today, changed back to traditional and am
able to read all the posts.

My chihuahua is about 10 years old and we got him when he was about two years
old from a man who said he found it abandoned.  He has so many problems but as
you can imagine, we love him dearly.  He has a humped back which the doctor
said is from some condition of the spine and surgery is the only thing that
might help but even then, they couldn't guarantee it would help and we really
couldn't afford to pay $8000+ not knowing if he would come through.  When he
was neutered, he ended up not being able to bark for over a year and I was so
upset with my vet that I changed and here he was our vet for over 20 years.
They had several doctors on the staff and I just felt like they were taking our
money by repeatedly taking xrays and other tests and he wasn't improving.  Then
he began having trouble walking, and for a year, his front paw turned inward so
he had to walk on his knuckles.  I put a bandaid on there so walking on the
concrete wouldn't hurt
 him.  Then a year later, I changed doctors and it was the same thing, they
wanted to do more xrays and my daughter refused, saying he already had enough
xrays and what were they doing for him.  He did have a cyst on his back but the
doctor fixed that and where they shaved the hair, it's funny because the hair
hardly grew back and you could see the partially bald spot.  Just lately I
notice hair growing back and it's strange that this hair is longer and softer
than the rest of his hair.   Well, the strangest thing happened on this visit.
When we took the bandaid off his paw for the doctor to check him over, when we
left the office, he was able to walk normally on that foot again, we just
couldn't understand it.  After about a year, he is now walking again on his
knuckle.  In case you're wondering why we never had anything done for him, it's
because our first vet (his assistant) just couldn't find out what was causing
the problem which is why we
 changed vets.   And we weren't happy with our second vet because they again
wanted to do nothing but take more xrays.  Anyways, I'm so sorry for this
detailed email but this is why I stayed away from this group because I didn't
think there was anything that could be done.

He's a strange dog, he comes to us on his own terms.  When my daughter is
holding him (it's her dog), no one can touch him, he bites.  Then when I'm
holding him, my daughter ca't touch him.  In the ten years that we've had him,
he has always barked at my husband and is not friendly with him.  But in the
past year or so, when he needs to go potty and my daughter or I are busy and
can't take him out, we can give him to my husband and he won't bite although he
makes a soft growl, we have to laugh.  That's the only time my hubby can touch
him.  Or when my hubby is sitting on the sofa and we place our "Chucho" on his
lap, he'll stay there.  When I try to cuddle him too close, he'll turn his head
and try to attack me and it's lucky my relfexes are as quick.  Only a few times
when he comes to me on his own, he can be cuddly and put his face next to mine
but rarely.

I meant to say when he walks, his back legs spread apart in a ways so it's hard
for him to walk.  In our house, we have to have rugs down the hallway,
otherwise, he'll slip.

Thank you so much for listening, I'm glad I got this all off my chest.  What
prompted me to write was about the potty thing.  Our Chucho is very well
trained and looks at us in a certain way when he has to go.  When it's
raiining, I'll use an umbrella but now my daughter puts an old rug near our
front door and he knows to do his business on it.   Once in ahile he might have
an accident in the house but it's usually when he can't get our attention, we
might be napping or something.  He's good in holding his poop though we notice.

Thanks again for listening,
Violet