From: Charlene
Date: 11/30/2012 7:48:30 PM
To: Chihuahuas@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Re: hot dogs? :)/Heating Pads

I just bought a new elect blanket for my babies.
It was like 25$ at walmart for the twin size.
I like the electric blanket because I can control the heat setting.
I put this in the communal bed with a blanket over it.
No worries about them getting cold with this.
The blanket works just like when on a bed......doesn't shut off like a
heating pad does.
Comes on and off!
There bed is in the back hall-way right next to our bedroom.
The bedroom door was removed so they feel like they are in our room with a
closure across the door where they can't get into the room.
& they have access to the sun-room/family room with the dogie door.

Charles made them a real nice bed out of wood.....2ft.W X 5ft.L x 10in.D
I put old pillows in a cover I made that was the size of the bed,  then
covered with a thick blanket..........next the electric blanket then a
lighter weight blanket.
Just play with the control to adjust to a temperature that you think will be
right for them..
Remember that their body temp is about 102F so they need warmer than you
would like maybe.

I use duct tape to tape the wires to the side of the bed and up the wall
where I sit the controls.
Because Smudge will chew stuff........and don't want him to think the wires
are chew toys.
They love their bed.......
Should say the loved their bed,,,,,, past tense!!
After being away from home for 10months and them sleeping with us, the last
2 night here at home we have had some crying from 2 of them, but 2nd night
was better than the 1st.
They will get use to it again real fast I am sure.

They all come and go at will out the dogie door to the back yard so they don
t have coats on when they run outside.
They go out and spend the time they want then back in the warm house.
Winter time in Oklahoma is not he rainy season (don't have to worry about
coats getting wet outside) so will have to keep an eye out and see if any
are feeling cold in the house, so as to put a coat on those.
I am sure that Smudge will need to have one as he has the shortest hair.
Wish they all had his...short/sleek/shining big time.

It is rather nice not being crowded by 5 chis when sleeping.
But it feels strange not having them curled next to me.

Charlene.....Oklahoma
Strangers Are Friends.....Not Yet Met
To See GOD'S Wonders.....Travel
Cook Like You Love It.....Even If You Don't
(2011 Fleetwood Tara MH 34ft)

From: "okiem...@gmail.com"

Amazon has heating pads with just the on/off switch--no timer!
I got mine there.
With older dogs you do not have to worry about chewing on cords but if you
have puppies run the cord through a piece of PVC pipe to deter them.
I have three heating pads on the floor where my 20 year old dog can find
them. That's about all he can do now is enjoy the warmth. He is blind from
cataracts and deaf too but still gets around pretty well so we keep on
trucking.
Then I have 2 other heating pads I use on the couch and in bed and the chi's
are always sharing.
Another good place to get the heating pads is at your local Goodwill or
Salvation Army or thrift stores.
Mare In Oklahoma