Subject: [Chihuahuas] HW & Flea Meds
From: Peggy & The Girls <phr...@optimum.net>
To: all_chihuah...@yahoogroups.com
CC:

Just found out that they have totally discontinued Interceptor, for HW. Now
they came out with Sentinal which is for HW and fleas. But it doesn't kill
adult fleas, it just works as a birth control on the flea eggs so they can
reproduce, once they hatch. Very dumb idea. I had no problems with Interceptor,
and as usual they just have to change something that is good and works without
side effects.......grrr!

Anyway, has anyone tried  Trifexis (spinosad + milbemycin oxime)  ??

Trifexis is a once-monthly tablet that kills fleas, prevents heartworm disease
and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections. And
since it's beef-flavored, you can offer it as a treat.

http://www.trifexis.com/      Maybe I can try this on Princess, but can't on
Gigi because of the seizure warning.

So far, every brand that I have read for HW preventative has a warning that
says it can cause seizures. So I haven't a clue as to what to give Gigi this
year. She didn't seem to have a problem with the Interceptor, but I never gave
her anything for fleas. I did give Princess both Interceptor and Advantix last
year, and never had and fleas on Gigi, which was a blessing. They always walk
side by side, so maybe because Advantix has a repellent in it for fleas and
tics, having Gigi walk next to Princess protected her. I not sure, but it is
the only thing I can think of, since I know that we have fleas here bad.  I
never let them walk where there are weeds either, just grass.

Peggy