Warning: Some Canine Plaque-Reducing Products Contain Toxic Xylitol!

BY: Dr. Eric Barchas

I was incredulous when I read this. Xylitol is a zero-calorie sugar
substitute that is touted as a great step forward for humans. It tastes like
sugar and it prevents the growth of bacteria that cause dental disease in
humans. It is widely available in sugarless gums and, I am sorry to say (for
reasons outlined below), it is becoming more common.
Xylitol is famously toxic to dogs. Xylitol in the bloodstream tricks some
dogs' bodies into thinking that it is real sugar. These dogs then react as
if their blood sugar is too high, their bodies release insulin to lower
their blood sugar, and their real blood sugar levels crash dangerously low.
Low blood sugar levels from xylitol ingestion can lead to coma, seizures,
and death. I know one person whose dog required five days of intensive care
and continuous sugar infusions.
But sadly, the horrors of xylitol toxicity don't end there. Some dogs that
consume it will suffer liver damage or life-threatening liver failure. The
cause has not been definitively determined, but the threat has been well
documented.
Adding xylitol to human plaque reducers makes sense. However, adding it to
canine ones is insanity. Would any manufacturer actually add a known toxin
to a canine product?

A quick Google search revealed the sad truth. The answer is yes. Consider,
for instance, Breathalyser PLUS, a water additive. A website selling it,
lists the ingredients as follows (emphasis mine).
Purified water, Glycerine, Hydroxymethyl-cellulose gum, Xylitol, polysorbate
20, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, barley malt extract, zinc gluconate,
proteolytic enzyme (Emilgase), FD&C Blue No. 1 & chlorhedidene [sic]
digluconate 0.049% w/w as a preservative.

I unequivocally recommend that no dog owner use this, or any, product that
claims to prevent plaque in dogs. In the best case, you'll waste your money.
In worse cases, the product will contain a known poison.
Susan, thank you for alerting me to this travesty. I recommend that you
attempt to habituate your dogs to toothbrushing over time (admittedly, this
is easier in puppies than in adult rescues, but it may still be possible).
If that fails, consider regular dental work at intervals that prevent
serious problems from developing (such work should be less expensive than
the sort of work that corrects major disease). But under any circumstances,
please avoid plaque "preventers" that contain xylitol.

http://www.dogster
com/lifestyle/warning-some-canine-plaque-reducing-products-contain-xylitol

Peggy