Three Dogs' Deaths May Be Linked to Eukanuba and Iams Dog Food Recall
Throughout the many recalls we've seen of dog food over the threat of
salmonella contamination, we don't always hear reports of deaths due to
tainted product.
Procter & Gamble's recall of Eukanuba and Iams dry dog foods might be
different. Just days after after the pet food giant announced a voluntary
recall, three dogs died after allegedly contracting an illness at the Pet
Spot doggie daycare in Norwood, Ohio.
In all, six dogs got sick, showing symptoms of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis,
or HGE. All the dogs ate Procter & Gamble food that was on the recall list,
according to FOX19, which is investigating the deaths.
Share this image
One of the dogs was one of the news station's own: Mr. Benson, who was owned
by FOX19's Morning Meteorologist Frank Marzullo. The four-year-old dog
passed away on Aug. 13, andMarzullo posted this message on his Facebook
page:
"Our Mr. Benson is in wagging his tail in heaven this afternoon. We lost him
at 12:15 after he took a turn this morning there was nothing more that the
doctors could do. He was our life and made us smile and laugh everyday.
Leslee and I thank you all for your kind words and thoughts he was a fighter
and your prayers helped. I have so many memories of him especially the times
we shared with all of you on the tv with him! Leslee, Mr. Otis and I love
you all and thank you!"
Here are some photos of Mr. Benson:

Share this image

Share this image

Share this image
Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is characterized by sudden vomiting and bloody
diarrhea. MedVet, a pet hospital in Madisonville, is currently awaiting test
results to confirm whether HGE caused the illnesses and deaths. Pet Spot
closed over the weekend, according to a message on its Facebook page, and
plans to reopen once the test results come in.
The Ohio Department of Agriculture is on the case as well and is urging
owners to monitor their dogs closely for warning signs, according to WCPO
com. ODA spokesperson Erica Hawkins says people who those symptoms should
take their dogs to the vet immediately.
“It’s important for dogs with any stomach illness to keep them hydrated,”
Hawkins said.
Hawkins said she has heard reports of other dogs getting sick, but isn't
linking the HGE outbreak to the recall just yet."We've heard reports of that
as well. We'll be able to tell better when we get the test results."
If you feed your dog Eukanuba or Iams, please check the list of affected
products here.

» Read full article on[The Scoop | The Scoop]