Hi Chris,

> anybody on the list active in programming and can tell me, how to get
> information aboput data structures and communication protocol on serial
> tty, to understand what is happening?
>
> I want to modify code to add support for anytone at 5555 and have no
> idea how to get it.
>
> I thought about sniffing rs232 from a windows machine to reverse
> engineering, but have and want no windows machine here.
>
> Now i am searching for a short intruduction or some tips where to get
> the information without analyzing serial port communication.
>
> Maybe some handy developers are present on that list and can send me a
> bit information.

Please take this sort of discussion to the developer's mailing list. More info
here:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Developers

That said, I hate to tell you but reverse-engineering serial protocols and
memory formats is how all of CHIRP was written. The best scenario is when the
radio manufacturer hasn't actively tried to obscure the protocol, but some of
them definitely have. You will need to *at least* sniff the OEM (usually
Windows) software's communication, unless the radio has a clone function you
can sniff. And that will only open the door to decoding the actual image
contents once you get it.

Anyway, if you need specific help, please continue this discussion on the
developer's mailing list from the link above.

Thanks!

--Dan