Chodosh Bulletin- 13 Aug 13

Yoseph Herman, Telephone Hot Line 718-305-5133. Email yher...@earthlink.net

*START OF THE CHODOSH SEASON*

According to this week’s report from the US Department of Agriculture, the
delayed start of the harvest of the Chodosh crops is finally in full swing.
Based on these reports, I will recommend the following cutoffs for the
forthcoming Chodosh season:

*Freshly baked items using spring wheat*, including breads, challahs,
bagels, rolls, pizza and some cakes and cookies may be Chodosh in the
Midwest after the PURCHASE DATE of Aug 18. Elsewhere in the US, this date
would be Aug 25. *Packaged foods from spring wheat* may be Chodosh after
the PACKING date of Aug 18, or the PURCHASE date of Sept 1.

*Noodles and pasta* may be Chodosh after the PACKING date of Aug 25 and the
PURCHASE date of Sept 8.

*Barley*, such as pearled barley, may be Chodosh after the PACKING date of
Aug 18 and PURCHASE date of Sept 1.

*Oats*: According to the O-U all oats used in cereals may have a Chodosh
PACKING date of Sept 1 or later, PURCHASE DATE of Sept 15 or later. The
oats in General Mills cereals, such as the oats in Cheerios, this Chodosh
PACKING date is Oct 1 or later, PURCHASE DATE of Oct 15 or later. (These
dates may be revised to a later time in the future. These dates also apply
for General Mills cereals sold under the Nestle label in Israel.) This
includes all oats used in both cold cereals that one eats with cold milk or
hot cereals such as cooked oatmeal. The O-U advisory does not apply to oats
used in other products such as oat flour used in cookies. For such
non-cereal products our recommended oats cutoff is the PACKING date of Aug
4 and the PURCHASE date of Aug 28.

service send a blank email message to:

chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il <chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il>

Those who have subscribed last year to the email distribution list do not
need to renew this email subscription.

this list by sending a message to:

chodosh-unsubscr...@jif.org.il.

Then if you wish to resume receiving these messages from your new service,
send a message to:

chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il <chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il>.

CAUTION: Some new anti-spam filters require senders to respond to a
challenge in order for their E mail to be received. This E mail
distribution list can not provide such responses. Other filters eliminate
all mass mailings such as this one. If you are using such filters, be sure
to put these messages on the allowed list of your filter, otherwise you
will not receive the updates.

Project Chodosh is an independent activity, not affiliated with any
movement or organization. We thank the Jewish Internet Fund (JIF) for
allowing us to use their E mail distribution services. The JIF  provides
free email and web hosting to Jewish education and outreach organizations.
We also thank the sites moruda.com and sefer.org for allowing the public to
use E mail to request copies from their facitlites of the Guides to Chodosh.