Hi M-A,

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Marc-Antoine Ruel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> It's a fair amount of work, you have enough time to implement that? I
> can't tell about whether we'd accept the patches or not. I'd accept
> the move of printing classes to base though.

I've already implemented the control as described in the synopsis. It's
still a complete mess, of course, so I won't bother anyone to look at the
sources yet. Most of the capability that I needed was demonstrated in the
test_shell project.  The patches that I've submitted over the last week
provide the additional base functionality that was missing.  I borrowed
context menus and printing from other parts of the code base, so I still
need to factor out those dependencies.  Other than that, it's just a matter
of design decisions and style ;-).  I'll submit any changes that also make
sense for test_shell as separate patches for consideration.

As far as a time line for cleaning up the whole project and preparing it for
submission, I'd say more than weeks and less than months. I'll only bother
if there's a middling chance that it would be accepted -- which is why I've
submitted the design for consideration.  It would definitely help to have
the Google style verification tools, so I might wait for those.

> From what I read, you want a custom interface, so no activex control nor
> XPCOM?

I intentionally avoided using COM-like technologies because I find them
cumbersome, annoying and difficult to understand and document properly.
Also, using COM interfaces from C should be banned as a form of torture.
The lack of COM in the main chromium code base is one of the primary reasons
why I chose it as the basis for this project.  I've already implemented
similar projects based on IWebBrowser2 and I was extremely dissatisfied with
the myriad ugly workarounds required.

>From the "custom interface" prospective, though, I would suggest that using
the Windows messaging system does not qualify as a custom interface any more
than defining your own COM classes would.  Unless you're suggesting a
chromium-based clone of IWebBrowser2?

> Is this windows-only?

The current implementation is Windows-only, but there's no reason why it
couldn't be ported to other systems.  We would just need to make changes
similar to the work currently going on for test_shell (abstract the
interface, etc).