Previously on this list, we have been urged to build and use the trunk to
shake out problems.  But what if you don't have or don't want to keep a
trunk build updated and running?  How can you make things better as a 1.0
release branch user?
If you add "--enable-dcheck" to your app shortcut, you will turn on debug
checks throughout the code, even in release mode.  The effect of hitting one
of these checks will generally be to crash your entire browser (since most
are in the browser process).  If this happens and you can reproduce the
issue, PLEASE file bugs, or (for you developers!) go fire up your debugger
or your debug build and track things down.  DCHECKs are generally easier to
fix than many other issues, but can cause all sorts of problems for users,
since in standard, non-checking builds, we'll be executing codepaths we
didn't anticipate.

Using this flag, I've already identified an issue that, in a normal build,
caused back/forward to not work correctly for Reuters news articles (and
Brett promptly fixed it).  I've also confirmed an Omnibox bug Finnur pointed
out, and today found my browser had crashed overnight.  I can't reproduce
this last issue, but at least my browser will send a crash dump to our
database.

So, if you're willing to live with a little less stability in exchange for
helping find bugs, turn on --enable-dcheck!

PK