+1 to a non-bool
It should be on window rather then on navigator since navigator has scope of
the whole browser app, while windows may be in different modes. Could be
window.displayMode which returns strings "normal" or "application".
"if(window.displayMode)" would be a test for the feature.

Or should it be something like window.chromiumDisplayMode to avoid conflict
with future standard?