I recently tried to port chrome/browser/safe_browsing/protocol_manager.cc to
Linux, but there's one problem. ProtocolManager uses hash_map of
URLFetcher*-s, and GCC needs a hash function for it.

I see many ways we can deal with that, and I discussed some of them on irc
and in review. The result so far is that it would be better to discuss this
further on chromium-dev. So, what we could do:

1) Just implement needed hash function for gcc in URLFetcher's header file.
Works, but then it has to be done in every place where it's needed, and we
have at least one case of that, for example profile.h.
2) Provide default identity hash function for object pointers (it's probably
what MSVC does on Windows). You can see a patch here:
http://codereview.chromium.org/20041 . There are concerns about making this
a default behavior, so...
3) Maybe create a macro like GCC_IDENTITY_HASH(ClassName) so we don't have
to repeat the implementation of identity hash function. Then it's simple to
apply it explicitly only where it's needed. But well, it's a macro.

Generally each of these choices have some drawbacks, but probably they're
not the only ways to deal with this problem.

So, if you have any ideas, comments, etc. - please share.

Paweł