On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:56 AM, inaneframe <inane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not understanding the animosity shown toward GTK in this thread
> thus far.  A majority of GNU/Linux distros are now using GNOME as the
> default distro, I use and nearly every Free Software user that I know
> IRL uses and prefers it.  I'm not going to bad mouth QT, I used it
> predominately a couple years ago in the 3.2 days and used it up until
> the betas of 3.5.

Just to clarify, the last 3.x release of Qt was 3.3 and there has not
been a 3.5 release of Qt.  I believe you are referring to KDE which
did have a 3.5 release.  Gtk and Qt are libraries and KDE and Gnome
are built using those libraries.  Users preferring application X over
application Y does not directly correlate to the quality of either
library.  I don't think XUL is better then Gtk or Qt even though
everyone uses FireFox. :)

> All I want is a fast browser and I for one am happy about the choice
> to use GTK, not only because I use GNOME but also because I've noticed
> quite a bit of difference between loading QT in a non-QT environment
> vs loading GTK in a non-GTK environment, GTK is faster.  Try loading
> Dolphin or Konqueror from GNOME and then Thunar, nautilus or epiphany
> from KDE and it's apparent.  Dolphin is a very fast application,
> pretty darn slow to load in GNOME, Thunar is comparable directly, fast
> as hell to load in either environment.

This is not comparing Qt to Gtk, but comparing KDE applications to
Xfce/Gnome applications.  Startup speed rarely has anything to do with
the underlying toolkit and is almost exclusively the fault of the
application and if the developers have even put time into making
startup fast.  For example if you load Designer from Qt 4.4 it is
slow, but if you load the Qt application Arora
(http://arora.googlecode.com/) using the same Qt 4.4 libraries is
extremely fast to start.

-Benjamin Meyer