Over the past month, some of us have been working on a
not-so-well-kept secret project to create a "build system system."
Our goal is to have something Generate Your Projects (GYP) in a
variety of formats, all from the same source.  Today, we're ready to
allow Mac developers to begin testing this experimental system.

If you're on a Mac, I encourage you to try this out.  From the
"src/build" directory in a Chromium working copy, run:

  ../tools/gyp/gyp

and in less than 10 seconds, a whole bunch of new Xcode projects will
be generated for you.  For the most part, they follow the same
structure as the existing Xcode projects you're familiar with, so if
you've been working with chrome.xcodeproj or test_shell.xcodeproj,
you'll have no problem finding and using chrome_gyp.xcodeproj and
test_shell_gyp.xcodeproj.  Similarly, build results go into
xcodebuild_gyp.  The _gyp suffix is temporary, and keeps us from
clobbering the old checked-in project files.

Right now, Generating Your Projects is voluntary and manual.  If a
.gyp file changes because you've edited it or because of a sync,
you'll need to re-run the above command to regenerate your project
files.  Before we go live, we'll add a hook to gclient to Generate
Your Projects automatically when .gyp files change during a sync.

I believe that the generated projects are now at parity with the old
checked-in project files, but the .gyp files do suffer from becoming
outdated pretty quickly.  If you're adding or removing files from the
tree, I'd appreciate it if you could help me out by making the
appropriate modifications to our .gyp files.  For the time being,
please Cc me on all reviews involving a .gyp file.  I think you'll all
find that maintaining .gyp files is far easier than working with Xcode
projects.

We have some work-in-progress documentation available at
http://code.google.com/p/gyp/w/list to help orient yourself.  I'll be
working more on the documentation in the days to come.  We've also
made significant progress on gyp-based Visual Studio, SCons, and
Makefile generation, so those of you who aren't using Macs won't miss
out for too long.

Have fun!

Mark