[Forwarding to chromium-dev from the right @chromium.org address.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steven Knight <s...@google.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Subject: variant definitions in the .gyp files
To: Mark Mentovai <mmento...@google.com>, Bradley Nelson <
bradnel...@google.com>, Adam Langley <a...@google.com>
Cc: Darin Fisher <da...@google.com>, chromium-dev <
chromium-dev@googlegroups.com>

I've appended a draft section below of what I'd like to add to the .gyp
configuration to support the different build flavors (coverage, profile,
etc.) that can be applied to the build configurations (Debug, Release).

It would be good if all of the platforms used similar configuration and
terminology, even though the settings will obviously be different.  For
SCons, I'll turn these into command-line COVERAGE=, PROFILE= variable
settings.  Mark thinks he can make the concept work for XCode.  Brad, Adam,
will this work for your generators as well?

        --SK

    'variants': {
      'coverage': {
        'cflags': ['-fprofile-arcs', '-ftest-coverage'],
        'linkflags': ['-fprofile-arcs'],
      },
      'profile': {
        'cflags': ['-pg', '-g'],
        'linkflags': ['-pg'],
      },
      'official': {
        'defines': ['OFFICIAL_BUILD'],
        # Make sure units of code and data go in their own section,
        # and then GC them in the linker to remove unreferenced data
        # and code.  Currently gold doesn't support --gc-sections,
        # so you'll have to build with the original GNU ld.
        'cflags': ['-ffunction-sections', '-fdata-sections'],
        'linkflags': ['-Wl,--gc-sections'],
      },
      'symbols': {
        'cflags': ['-g'],